Recent reports have stated that UFC is interested in booking Eddie Alvarez vs. Dustin Poirier 2 in Calgary on July 28, but if the former UFC Lightweight Champion’s word is anything to go by, it’s not going to be happening anytime soon.
Alvarez and Poirier first fought against one another at UFC 211 back in May 2017. The fight was ruled a no-contest because Alvarez landed illegal knees to Poirier’s head, who was a downed opponent.
Since then, UFC fans have been calling for a rematch between the two, and recent reports have suggested the fight could take place later this year in the summer.
However, Alvarez told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday he’s far from accepting any fight, as he said: “It’s not f**king happening. I’m not fighting until I get a new deal.”
It was only last week as well that Alvarez said that he was offered a new deal by the UFC recently but he turned it down as he felt it was inadequate to his evaluation of himself. Negotiations never took off after that.
He said: “The only thing we spoke of was re-signing and we haven’t come to that agreement yet. So I’m guessing there’s not going to be an opponent or a bout agreement in the mail unless I’m ready to re-sign. So when we come to agreement to re-sign, then I’m sure there will be a bout agreement in the mail.
Alvarez added: “I want to sit down with the UFC and just come to an agreement. I feel like the best guys are (in the UFC). I still have a couple guys in the division that I want to take out and have on my resume so I definitely have some unfinished business here.”
Hopefully, Alvarez is able to sign a new contract soon, as UFC fans would love to see him back in the Octagon against either Poirier or Nate Diaz.
Diaz has recently said that he is ready to return to the Octagon after almost a two-year absence, and you would have to think that this would be a fight that Alvarez would be interested in.