The prospect of a rematch between Saul Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin is very much still on the cards.
Canelo's suspension following two failed drugs test meant he was denied the significance of fighting on May 5 - Cinco de Mayo - with GGG instead obliterating Vanes Martirosyan with a knockout in two rounds.
Yet, what the fans wanted to see was a repeat of September 16, when Golovkin appeared to have done enough to beat the Mexican but the judges controversially deemed it a draw.
The 36-year-old desperately wanted to do it all over again and publicly branded his old rival a "cheat", though the 27-year-old has since been cleared thanks to a negative hair follicle test.
While Golovkin has previously also taken aim at Oscar De La Hoya, accusing him of not being clean, the promoter, who represents Alvarez, has in fact been detailing the stringent measures the camp have been going to so his name can be cleared once and for all.
“Canelo has announced that he will be tested by VADA [Voluntary Anti-Doping Association] but what a lot of people don’t know is that he’s been actually tested several times with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC),” De La Hoya said, per the Express.
“They tested him just two days ago. I think they’re testing them today as well, but he wanted to enrol in the year-round testing for his fans.
“He wants to keep proving that he’s innocent to keep proving that it was an innocent mistake, what took place.
“And it’s funny because I’ve travelled to Mexico quite a few times now and they ask people, what do you think about this news with Canelo? And they’re like, what news?"
Can he change his rep?
The sad fact is that regardless of what happens now, there are those who will never believe Canelo is entirely innocent, because that's just how easily reputations are taken down in boxing.
A renewed bout with Golovkin could do his ailing career the world of good, though, and judging by De La Hoya's comments, it sounds as if there is now a high chance a rematch will go ahead.
“With all this animosity now, guess what? The fight is going to be even bigger," he added.
“I think [Canelo’s stature] has been affected here a bit in the US. But guess what, I’ve always said you’re as good as your last fight.
“Canelo is fine though. He wants to fight.
“I’m 75 percent sure, confident that, that we can get this done because [the trash talk from GGG camp] had been quite disparaging towards him. But of course everybody uses their own negotiating tactics.
“But I can say that I think I’m about 75 percent confident right now and happy with the process that has happened the last couple of days in terms of the broader stuff."
Can Alvarez rebuild his reputation? Will he beat GGG? Have your say in the comments.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms