Current WBA (Super), WBC, IBF, and IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin has his sights set on getting back into the ring with Canelo Alvarez.
The pair fought to a controversial Draw last year after a hard-fought 12 rounds. Many believed that Golovkin had easily picked up the decision win, but the judges apparently saw it differently and awarded out a Draw.
Tom Loeffler, Golovkin's promoter, recently spoke to BoxingScene.com about what's next for his fighter.
Plans Falling Through
Golovkin was initially set to rematch Alvarez on Cinco De Mayo, however, the Mexican tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol in February, and the fight was called off.
Alvarez has been suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and isn't expected to be eligible for a return until after August 17th.
Golovkin maintained his promise to fans and fought on May 5th, against late replacement Vanes Martirosyan from the StubHub Center in Carson, California. GGG won the contest via second round knockout.
Loeffler recently revealed that there's a “structure in place” for a rematch between Golovkin and Canelo to go down soon, they're just waiting on a few details between the fighters to be ironed out (quotes via Boxing Scene):
“I’ve been in regular contact with Eric,” Loeffler said, referring to Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez.
“Both promoters, we’re ready to go to start promoting this fight. We’re just waiting on the fighters’ side, just to finalize any of the outstanding details there would be. …
"There is, for sure, a structure in place for it to take place – basically for it to be rescheduled from the May fight to the September date.”
“It wouldn’t be a long, drawn-out negotiation like it was before [for May 5],” Loeffler said. “It’s the biggest fight for both guys and it seems natural that both guys would want the fight.
"At the same time, you know, that’s why we’re here [at the hearing].
"Gennady has certain obligations as a unified champion, and so that’s what we’re trying to do – if we can do the Canelo fight, appease the fans and what’s best for the sport, as far as doing the biggest fight in the sport of boxing.
"At the same time, we’re trying to abide by the rules of the sanctioning bodies that he has titles of, and those things don’t always connect.”
The 36-year-old Kazakhstani is one of the most feared knockout artists in the world, and Alvarez is a powerful striker in his own right - but he's arguably the face of the sport of boxing today after the retirement of Floyd "Money" Mayweather.
Boxing fans have been anxiously waiting for these two to rematch after feeling cheated following the conclusion of Alvarez and Golovkin's initial bout. It should be interesting to see how things shake out.
What are your thoughts on an Alvarez vs. Golovkin rematch deal almost being made? Let us know your thoughts on the matter in the comments section below!News Now - Sport News