It takes a pretty special lap to claim pole for the Monaco Grand Prix and Daniel Ricciardo certainly managed that in qualifying on Saturday.
The Red Bull driver has been unstoppable for much of the weekend and will start at the front of the grid for the second time in his Formula 1 career on Sunday, exactly two years after breaking his duck around the same Monte Carlo streets in 2016.
In putting himself in that position, Ricciardo also posted a new lap record around the historical circuit, setting a 1m10.810s, and watching the Australian leave no margin for error against the barriers, particularly through the high-speed section in the second half of the lap is just a sight to behold.
Much of that determination and commitment comes from a sense of unfinished business the 28-year-old feels he has when it comes to the Monaco GP.
After taking pole two years ago, he would dominate the early part of what was a very wet race in the Principality only for his Red Bull team not to have the tyres ready when Daniel pitted for slicks after the track had dried sufficiently, allowing Lewis Hamilton to take the win.
The desire to right that wrong remains and was evident in his comments on the radio after qualifying.
“50% done, let's do this s**t tomorrow,” Ricciardo said in his typically exuberant fashion.
Speaking to the media back in the pit-lane, he added: “It’s good. We sent a statement on Thursday and been quickest in every session. The race tomorrow and then we will celebrate.
“There is still a lot of fire in this belly. I’ve done everything I can so far, let’s finish the job tomorrow. I’m pumped, it’s been a good few days.”
Reeling a little from seeing hopes of a possible 1-2 at Red Bull's 250th race dashed by Max Verstappen's crash in final practice, team boss Christian Horner was still thrilled with his lead driver.
“He’s done an amazing job," the Briton said.
“It feels a little bittersweet. We’re delighted with pole but we should have had two cars up there."
Even Ricciardo's rivals were in awe, with his nearest challenger Sebastian Vettel conceding there was nothing he could do.
“There’s always a feeling that there’s a little bit [to come] but I don’t think there was a threat to Daniel’s time today,” said the Ferrari driver.
“Well done to Daniel, he owned the qualifying session.
“They looked strong on Thursday, they looked strong this morning, we got as close as we could, now we’ll see what we can do for tomorrow."