Last night (Friday, May 25, 2018) Bellator 200 went down live at the SSE Arena, Wembley in London, featuring a great card for mixed martial arts (MMA) fans around the world.
One such fight was a preliminary bout featuring two Bellator MMA rookies, Tom Mearns and Mike Ekundayo. The two featherweights went head-to-head in 145-pound competition on the preliminary card.
62 seconds into the second round, however, tragedy struck for Mearns. During a grappling exchange with Ekundayo, Mearns' limb on his left arm bent in a way that the human body is not supposed to.
The referee witnessed this and was forced to call the fight off immediately. There's no way a fighter should continue in an MMA fight after sustaining an injury of that magnitude.
You can check out the injury in the following video:
This is truly one of the nastiest injuries ever witnessed in MMA history. Although he may not be a huge name, Mearns' limb twist ranks up there with the snap of Anderson Silva's leg from several years ago.
In the fight game, nasty injuries are not uncommon, so you can almost surely bet that something like this will definitely happen again at some point down the road.
You can check out the full results from the amazing Bellator 200 here below (via LowKickMMA):
MAIN CARD (Paramount (tape delay), 9 p.m. ET)
- Gegard Mousasi def. Rafael Carvalho via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:35 – to win middleweight title
- Michael Page def. David Rickels via submission (verbal) – Round 2, 0:43
- Aaron Chalmers def. Ash Griffiths via technical submission (standing guillotine choke) – Round 1, 1:54
- Mike Shipman def. Carl Noon via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 0:11
- Kate Jackson def. Anastasia Yankova via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-27)
- Phil Davis def. Linton Vassell via knockout (head kick) – Round 3, 1:05
PRELIMINARY CARD (Bellator app, 12:30 p.m. ET)
- Jahreau Shepherd def. Marcin Zywica via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 1, 5:00
- Walter Gahadza def. Kent Kauppinen via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:04
- Amir Albazi def. Iurie Bejenari via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:21
- Charlie Leary def. Tom Green via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:58
- Charlie Ward def. Martin Hudson via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:23
- Pedro Carvalho def. Daniel Crawford via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Anatoly Tokov def. Vladimir Filipovic via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:56
- Costello van Steenis def. Kevin Fryer via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:27
- Mike Ekundayo def. Tom Mearns via TKO (arm injury) – Round 2, 1:02
What are your thoughts on the nasty arm injury suffered by Mearns at Bellator 200? Let us know your thoughts on the matter in the comments section below!
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms