The curtain could be coming down on Fernando Alonso’s Formula One career.
Whilst the Spaniard was far from alone in decrying last Sunday’s “extremely boring” Monaco Grand Prix, his comments have been taken as further evidence he is seeking new challenges away from the F1 circuit.
Since returning to McLaren for the 2015 season, the two-time world champion has barely fought for a place on a Grand Prix podium let alone been a contender for the Drivers’ Championship.
Now 36, he was persuaded to remain with the team following its split with engine provider Honda, but for how much longer will he be happy to accept such mediocrity?
Not for much longer according to Carlos Sainz Snr, father of Alonso’s good friend at Renault, Carlos Sainz,
Sainz Snr told the Express: “He is in a period when he would like to be in a different situation.
"He wants to fight for podiums and wins.
"When you’ve won before, and in his case he has won two world championships and fought for others, if you are not fighting for podiums, races, championships, it is logical that you are not happy. And it’s especially true if you are as experienced as he is and with the character that Fernando has.
"This year at McLaren the situation is a little bit better and let’s hope it improves more, but is true that maybe he and all of us who want the best for him were expecting something more."
Ex-F1 driver and Sky Sports pundit Martin Brundle also believes Alonso is looking ahead to new challenges.
He told the Express: “I spoke with Alonso in Monaco and got the impression that he will not continue (in F1).
Alonso is set to speak with McLaren in August, but should he leave, where would he go?
On the back of an encouraging debut last year, Alonso is likely to try his hand at the Indianapolis 500 again, whilst McLaren have already granted him permission to race in the upcoming World Endurance Championship, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans.News Now - Sport News