Valentino Rossi

Marquez drove a 2012 Red Bull in Austria earlier this week.

MotoGP champion Marc Marquez tests for Red Bull, talks possible future switch to F1

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Four-time MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez admits he would be interested in a possible future switch to Formula 1 but remains committed to two-wheels for now.

The Spaniard was given the opportunity to test a 2012 Red Bull RB8 - decorated in Toro Rosso colours due to their link with Honda - at the Red Bull Ring in Austria earlier this week, ahead of the F1 Grand Prix there in three weeks time.

And his performance was pretty impressive as, in the few hours he drove, lap times dropped from a pretty pedestrian 1m21s initially to a relatively competitive 1m14s, albeit still a few seconds off what a top F1 driver would achieve.

Unsurprisingly, his outing lead to questions if the 25-year-old could make what is a rare move from two wheels to four, with Valentino Rossi the only MotoGP rider to seriously consider the possibility after testing for Ferrari on several occasions.

“It was an unbelievable experience and an absolute highlight of my career,” Marquez began.

“My complete focus in the coming years will remain on MotoGP. I’m part of a fantastic team, and I feel fully motivated.

“Who knows though, maybe Formula 1 will be a serious idea for me in a few years’ time!”

Certainly, he does seem to have made some fans with his speed, with Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko particularly impressed by Marc's rate of development.

“To put that kind of performance in within such a short time says everything about his huge talent,” the Austrian said.

“In the coming years he is going to break a lot more records in MotoGP, maybe after that, F1 will actually be a possibility.

“Up to now only a few exceptional talents, such as John Surtees, have managed to compete in both racing series.

“Marc also has what it takes. Today definitely wasn’t the last time he will sit in an F1 car.”

The Red Bull event in association with Honda, with whom Marquez rides in MotoGP, offered the chance for reporters to ask about the talks between the two parties over a possible engine deal for 2019.

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco

With current supplier Renault putting pressure on for a decision, Marko also revealed the deadline set by the energy drinks giant.

“Our internal schedule plans that we want to have a decision on the engine issue by the Grand Prix in Austria. If possible, then also on the driver," he said with the driver comment a reference to Daniel Ricciardo.

“I’m sure there’ll be a decision in Austria. There’s not that many possibilities.”

That race at the Red Bull Ring takes place on June 29.

Topics:
Marc Marquez
Valentino Rossi
Renault
Max Verstappen
Daniel Ricciardo
Toro Rosso
Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari
Red Bull
Formula 1

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again