Wolves denied in Bank Holiday battle at Molineux

Published Add your comment

Football News
As the dust settles after a turbulent Bank Holiday weekend, the Molineux faithful will be extremely happy. Three games in, unbeaten and sitting pretty in fourth. So far, so good.
Against Newcastle, is was clear to see the one player that Mick McCarthy had picked out as a danger man. Joey Barton will most likely be battered and bruised going to training tomorrow.

Not that he hasn't handed some of that out himself in the past; but it came as a surprise that Wolves finished with the full compliment of players on the field; Karl Henry dishing out most of the punishment.
Putting that issue aside, it was another confident display from McCarthy's side and a game I feel they could have, maybe even should have, won.
Wolves haven't lost at home since early March but Newcastle dominated the early exchanges; Wayne Routledge must have despaired as he saw a low cross glide past an open goal with no-one there to apply the finish.
But, as the game careered towards half time and the tackles started flying in, Wolves found themselves back in the game - Ebanks-Blake managing to head against the post when it seemed easier to score.
But it wouldn't be long until the striker had his goal; and what a goal it was. Jelle Van Damme floated a ball into the box and with minimal space, Ebanks-Blake took one sublime touch before hammering a low drive into the Newcastle net. McCarthy's half-time team talk was made infinitely easier.
Whatever he did say worked, as Wolves began the second period much as they finished the first. Not even three minutes in, the home side should have had a two goal cushion, if it hadn't been for Stewart Attwell's mind-boggling decision not to award a penalty to Matt Jarvis.
The winger got the better of Perch on the left and the Newcastle defender slid in rashly to bring Jarvis down. Attwell saw nothing wrong and let play continue.
Wolves were justifiably incensed as Newcastle recovered from the penalty should to grab and equaliser courtesy of an Andy Carroll header from a Joey Barton free kick in the 62nd minute. With the game deadlocked more tackles flew in that saw the game's yellow card tally rise to 12 by the final whistle.
Both sides had chances to snatch a win before the final whistle but poor finishing and poor officiating saw that the game ended with the points shared. Maybe 2-1 would have been a fair score - but since when was football fair?
*Disclaimer: The views in this article are that of the writer and may not replicate those of the Professional Footballers' Association.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Premier League
Wolverhampton Wanderers

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again