Jon Jones continues to catch heat from one fighter over his latest failed drug test.
It’s been documented that Jon Jones failed an in-competition drug test at UFC 214. Due to that failed drug test, Jones has been provisionally suspended by USADA pending a full investigation by the CAC (California Athletic Commission).
Jones defeated his arch-rival Daniel Cormier by third-round TKO in the main event of UFC 214 on July 29, 2017 in Anaheim, California on PPV (pay-per-view) to regain the title. Jones tested positive for Turinabol.
Despite his success in the sport, he has had a long string of incidents that not only cost him money but opportunities to build his legacy.
Make no mistake about it, he is widely regarded as one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time, Jones was ranked number one in the world during his championship reign and currently has the longest active winning streak in the UFC.
Jones has been stripped of three different UFC belts (also a record) and failed multiple drug tests by USADA to go along with myriad legal troubles outside of the cage.
He’s a two-time light heavyweight champion and the youngest fighter to ever hoist UFC gold. His first run as a UFC champion featured eight title defenses, tied for third-most of all time.
UFC President Dana White has written Jones off in the past by going on record that he would “never take the risk of headlining a show with Jon Jones again” after the fiasco Jones caused at UFC 200 by being forced off the card just days beforehand.
However, he booked Jones in the main event of UFC 214. In the past, UFC health and performance vice president Jeff Novitzky has gone on record by stating that Jones’ latest case is still being investigated.
Earlier this year, the CSAC revoked Jones’ MMA license and fined him $205,000 at the hearing that would determine Jones’ fate as a result of this drug test and now he’s waiting for a hearing with USADA that could have him suspended to up to four-years.
UFC interim welterweight champion Colby Covington believes that Jones is trying to find a way for an earlier return and could be bribing USADA as a result.
“I feel like if that does happen that he comes in before that two-year time frame, we would find out a lot about USADA,” Covington said (transcript courtesy of Bloody Elbow). “I think they would lose a lot of credit.” If he ends up coming back before that two-year time frame, I would really have to question USADA’s legitimacy.”
“I think they’re trying to keep (Jones’) name in the headlines,” Covington said. “Obviously, that’s the name of the game is to keep your name hot. I think they’re using that more as leverage to keep his name out there at the possibility (of returning earlier).”
“You never know. His scumbag management team, Malki Kawa and those guys, they’re probably trying to pay off the UFC or USADA somehow to get him back earlier,” he added. “You never know the UFC’s side, they want to do business and make money so if he’s available, and USADA clears him, then they’re gonna want to do business and put him back out there to fight and make that company money.”
“They’ve got a $4 billion installment on that loan to pay back, so they’re gonna do whatever it takes to make money and pay back that loan.”
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms