Boro overcome Imps for much-needed first away win

Published Add your comment

Football News

Debutant loanee Chris Holroyd scored the only goal of the game to hand Boro their second win of the season at the expense of struggling Lincoln City.

The game saw captain Mark Roberts left out of the squad and replaced by Lawrie Wilson.

Chris Holroyd was given a starting berth at the expense of Yemi Odubade, who dropped to the bench, and assistant manager Dino Maamria was named as a substitute. Graham Westley decided upon 4-4-2 instead of the customary 4-3-3, with Griffin and Holroyd up front.

The Imps started much brighter in the opening ten minutes as Stevenage seemed slightly disorganised and took a few minutes to settle.

Within the opening minutes Cian Houghton had a shooting opportunity when delivered the ball but his shot went into the side netting.

Soon after, Holroyd was given a chance to open his account when the ball was cleared straight to his feet but he was unable to gain control of it and Lincoln could breathe a sigh of relief.

The first 15 minutes were open and relatively evenly contested, with the swirling wind playing a part in reducing the threat posed by City crosses.

Twenty minutes in Holroyd was muscled forcefully away from the ball inside the area, provoking protests for a penalty by the travelling Boro fans; however, the referee didn’t seem interested at all and play continued.

The half’s best chance came on 30 minutes when Jarrett jinked away from Michael Bostwick and flicked an excellent cross into the area.

Mustapha Carayol was inches away from contact with the ball six yards out but Lawrie Wilson slid in to poke the ball across the goalmouth and out for a corner as the incredulous home support looked on, as it had looked a certain goal.

The Imps were made to pay ten minutes later when a high throw into a packed area by Darius Charles found the head of Jon Ashton, who flicked it into space ten yards out.

The bouncing ball found Holroyd who smashed the ball emphatically past the Imps’ keeper. It was Boro’s first league goal in over two hours.

Both sides had half chances in the second period but credit to the Boro boys, they held on gamely to record that elusive first away win.

Disclaimer: The views in this article are that of the writer and may not replicate those of the Professional Footballers' Association.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

League Two

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again