MotoGP

A group of riders compete in the Moto 3 GP.

Romano Fenati sacked by his team for pulling rival’s brake

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Italian rider Romano Fenati has been sacked by his team after pulling a rival’s brake lever while racing at 140mph on Sunday.

Fenati was black flagged after reaching across to Stefano Manzi’s bike and pulling the brake lever in the Moto2 race at San Marino.

Manzi luckily, however, managed to stay upright on his bike, avoiding a possible fatal incident.

Fenati was given a suspension of two Grands Prix, but now his penalty appears to be greater, with his team tearing up his contract and his future employer doing likewise.

Marinelli Snipers Team said in a statement on Monday: “The Marinelli Snipers Team shall terminate the contract with the rider Romano Fenati, from now on, for his unsporting, dangerous and damaging conduct for the image of all.

“With extreme regret, we have to note that his irresponsible act endangered the life of another rider and can’t be apologised (for) in no way.”

And Giovanni Castiglioni, boss of the MV Agusta team which was due to sign Fenati for 2019, said the 22-year-old should be banned from racing and his scheduled deal “won’t happen”.

The Italian entrepreneur wrote on Instagram: “This has been the worse and saddest thing I ever seen in a bike race.

“True sportsmen would never act this way. If I would be Dorna (MotoGP’s parent company) I would ban him from world racing.

“Regarding his contract for a future position as rider of MV Agusta Moto 2, I will oppose myself in every way to stop it.

“It won’t happen, he doesn’t represent our company true value.”

Fenati himself has since released a statement, apologising for his disgraceful actions.

"I apologise to the whole sports world.

"This morning, with a clear mind, I wish it had been just a bad dream.

Romano Fenati - the shamed rider

"I think and I think back to those moments, I made a disgraceful gesture, I was not a man.

"A man would finish the race and then go [to the race officials] to try and get justice for the previous episodes.

"I should not have reacted to provocations. The criticisms are correct and I understand the resentment towards me.

"I want to apologize to everyone who believed in me and all those who felt hurt by my action. An image of me and of sport has come out, everything, horrible.

"I’m not like that, those who know me well know that. In my career, I’ve always been a good driver.

He'll probably never ride again in MotoGP

"Last year I was one of the few who did not receive any penalties, I never put someone else’s life in jeopardy, on the contrary, I have always maintained that there are dangerous pilots, on the track, for driving style.

"It’s true, unfortunately, I have an impulsive character, but my intention was certainly not to hurt a racer like me.

"But I wanted to make him understand that what he was doing was dangerous and that I could have made some mistakes as well as he had just made them to me.

"I do not want to justify myself, I know that my gesture is not justifiable, I just want to apologise to everyone.

"Now I will have time to reflect and clear my ideas."

Topics:
MotoGP

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again