Football

2018 World Cup winners Antoine Griezmann and Kylian Mbappe.

Fans have settled the 'club vs country' debate with Champions League/World Cup poll

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Ah yes, the World Cup and UEFA Champions League. The pinnacle of competitive football.

Each holds a level of prestige different to the other, but both are regarded as arguably the two most important dates on the football calendar.

Given the fact the World Cup only comes around once every four years, the likeliness of a player or team managing to win the prize is much lower than an annual competition such as the Champions League.

Many of the sport's greats have been lucky enough to win both in their careers. Sergio Ramos, Ronaldinho, and most recently, Real Madrid's Raphael Varane to name a few.

I'm sure a lot of Spanish Real Madrid fans are becoming bored at the continued success for both their international and domestic team.

On second thought, maybe not...

Perhaps one of football's most sinister injustices is both Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi not leading their respective countries to World Cup glory. 

However, this is the reality of football, an ever-changing landscape where great players come and go in a matter of seasons.

Which leads us to the whole point of this article: The poll.

Griezmann and Mbappe with the World Cup trophy

Over on the GiveMeSport Facebook page, we put a question out for you, our loyal readership: "What would you rather: Your nation win the World Cup, or your club win the Champions League?"

After more than 70,000 votes, the results are in - and they're rather decisive.

74% of GiveMeSport readers voted they would rather their nation win the World Cup, while the remaining 26% said they'd rather their domestic team win the Champions League.

These results would probably differ based on what nation or club you support, however.

Nevertheless, you, the people, have spoken.

The World Cup remains football's most prestigious accolade, and it's hard to argue with that.

Here's to another three-and-a-half years counting down the days until Qatar 2022.

Topics:
UEFA Champions League
Football
England Football
Real Madrid
Lionel Messi
World Cup
Cristiano Ronaldo

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again