Brixton heavyweight Dillian Whyte has dismissed Deontay Wilder’s demand for him to earn a WBC title shot by fighting Luis Ortiz, insisting the Cuban powerhouse turned down an offer earlier this year.
The 30-year-old Brit is yet to receive an offer to fight the WBC king, despite working his way into the No.1 spot in the WBC rankings, with Dominic Breazeale superseding him after the WBC announced the American as the next mandatory bout for Wilder, who will make a voluntary defence against Tyson Fury on December 1 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Wilder told Whyte this week: “You fight Luis Ortiz, win that and I promise you, you have Deontay Wilder.”
The Jamaican-born bruiser has maintained that ‘King Kong’ was not willing to face him in the summer after talks broke down due to the Cuban’s unrealistic financial demands.
“In my last two fights, I fought two former world champions, yet Wilder says that I have to fight Ortiz to be second placed mandatory,” Whyte told Sky Sports.
“Who’s Ortiz’s best win? A dreadful points victory over Malik Scott? Who Chisora knocked out.
"I offered to fight Ortiz years ago, but he didn’t want to know. He didn’t even want to know this summer and asked for silly money coming off his knockout loss to Wilder.
“He made it clear that he wouldn’t be ready for July 28, which was the date we had available. Funnily enough it didn’t stop him fighting someone else that day.
“Wilder wants me to jump through more hoops that he dictates before I can fight him, yet he fought journeyman Jason Gavern immediately before he fought for the world title.”
Fury and Wilder came to blows last night in an explosive LA press conference which was axed after the rivals lunged at each other, leaving Whyte far from impressed with their behaviour.
“It was pure pantomime with those clowns prancing around the stage kissing and hugging each other,” he said.
“All that was missing was the crowd shouting ‘he’s behind you!’ Even wrestling fans wouldn’t buy that rubbish.”
Whyte’s promoter Eddie Hearn insists ‘The Body Snatcher’ still has a plethora of options ahead of a potential rematch with Chisora in December, and the WBO could also install the 30-year-old as mandatory challenger for Anthony Joshua’s WBO belt.
“The WBO is next, so it’s all down to what the WBO decide,” Hearn told Sky Sports. “They are going to review it at their convention, which is right at the end of October.
“Dillian Whyte is probably the front runner right now for the WBO mandatory, and then after that it’s IBF mandatory, which is the winner of Hughie Fury against Pulev. That’s probably not going to come round until the end of 2019.
“Basically if you’re not in a unification, which would be an undisputed fight, you will have to continuously fight your mandatories.
“Again, That will work well for us in terms of, if it’s not Wilder on April 13, it will be a WBO mandatory, which could well be Dillian Whyte."News Now - Sport News