Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov have suspensions extended

UFC 229: Khabib v McGregor

Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov have had their suspensions extended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission until an investigation into a brawl following their bout is over.

The pair were caught up in ugly scenes following their UFC lightweight world title fight, which Nurmagomedov won, in Las Vegas earlier this month.

On Wednesday the commission voted to uphold temporary suspensions for both fighters until a hearing on December 10.

A statement confirmed the commission met on Tuesday and voted unanimously to suspend the pair pending their hearings and withhold 1million US Dollars (£776,549), half of Nurmagomedov’s purse.

Following his victory, Nurmagomedov jumped the Octagon fence and started fighting McGregor’s camp.

McGregor then fought with the Russian’s team and they both remain suspended.

The commission voted to release half of Nurmagomedov’s purse after initially holding all of his earnings.

“I have felt half was a good enough amount of money, to release a million dollars, that should cover all expenses, give the fighter some money,” Nevada Athletic Commission chairman Anthony Marnell told the meeting.

“At the same time, it’s still a very substantial amount of money to be withheld until we can get to the case in December and get all of the testimony or potentially we get a settlement agreement.

UFC 229: Khabib v McGregor

“Who knows how that will go over the next 60 days, but it’s enough money to keep this contestant’s interest in this hearing.”

Both fighters have been requested to attend the hearing in person.

Speaking about the incident, Nevada State Athletic Commission chief Bob Bennett pointed the finger at the managers for the brawl.

“You should know that the Nevada State Athletic Commission made a concerted effort on two independent occasions to speak with both managers of both fighters and tell them, ‘Listen, we don’t want any problems during the ceremonial weigh-in and at the end of the fight. I specifically spoke with them,” Bennett told MMAjunkie.

“We didn’t want to be in a position that we’re in today had they would have managed their fighters in a professional manner. Unfortunately, they didn’t take heed to my comments, and that’s why we’re here today.”

News Now - Sport News