Barcelona icon Carles Puyol responds perfectly to comparisons between Arthur and Xavi

Portraits - 2018 Laureus World Sports Awards - Monaco

Arthur Melo is beginning to make his mark at Barcelona.

The 22-year-old Brazilian midfielder joined from Gremio in the summer and was hugely impressive in Wednesday night's 2-0 Champions League win over Inter Milan.

Arthur's performances since arriving in Spain have drawn comparisons to Barcelona legend Xavi.

He possesses a similar playing style, ghosting in and out of tight spaces whilst playing neat passes all over the pitch.

Xavi, who spent 17 years pulling the strings in Barcelona's midfield, recently offered his thoughts on the young Brazilian star.

"He [Arthur] is one of those players that we say has Barca DNA," said the Spaniard. "He has all the qualities needed to be a success if he's given games.

"I think we're looking at a player that can mark an era at Barcelona."

Ahead of Sunday's El Clasico, legendary Barcelona defender Carles Puyol has voiced his opinion on the comparisons between Arthur and Xavi.

FC Barcelona v FC Internazionale - UEFA Champions League Group B

He's spoken nothing but sense on the matter.

“What happens is that comparing any player with Xavi are big words," said Puyol, as per Sport.

"In that comparison he’s going to lose - and it’s a pressure on Arthur that I think we don't have to put this on his back.”

“Let him grow, make his football and not compare with Xavi Hernández.

"If he is in Barcelona it is because he has seen qualities and that he has the characteristics to play in this club. And he’s showing it.”

Very well said, Puyol.

FBL-WC-2018-DRAW

It's been four months since Arthur arrived and he appears to have all the ingredients to be a resounding success in Catalonia.

However, comparing a 22-year-old to one of the club's greatest ever players will only add lots of unnecessary pressure.

Arthur is expected to play alongside Ivan Rakitic and Sergio Busquets when Barcelona host Real Madrid at the Camp Nou on Sunday afternoon.

Ernesto Valverde will be without Leo Messi for at least two more weeks after the Argentine superstar suffered a fractured arm in last week's 4-2 win over Sevilla.

News Now - Sport News