Eye witnesses gives their stories following Leicester City owner's helicopter crash


The helicopter of Leicester City owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha crashed outside the King Power Stadium following the Premier League game against West Ham yesterday evening - and now eye witnesses are sharing their stories.

The incident occurred in the club’s car park, where police cars and emergency services rushed towards an area where flames were clearly visible before it was evacuated.

Leicestershire Police tweeted: “We are dealing with an incident in the vicinity of the King Power Stadium. Emergency services are aware and dealing.”

East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust‏ added on its Twitter feed: “We are also in attendance and will update when possible.”

Srivaddhanaprabha leaves the stadium by his helicopter, which lands in the centre circle on the pitch, after every Leicester home game.

The Thai businessman, who owns the King Power company, bought the club in 2010 and became chairman the following February.

Under his ownership, Leicester won the Premier League title in the 2015-16 season.

Unsurprisingly, as it was following a match at the stadium, there were plenty of eye witnesses to the crash, and Sky Sports have managed to speak to a few people who saw the whole incident unfold.

Sky Sports News' Rob Dorsett was at the game, and afterwards, he reported: “At about 8:30 this evening, eye witnesses told me they saw the Leicester City owners helicopter take off from the pitch inside the King Power stadium – as it does after every game – and after a few seconds it appeared to lose control.


"It sounds like there was a fault with the rear tail propeller, which meant it was sent spinning out of control and crashed in the car park at the rear of the King Power Stadium, just a few hundred metres away from where the pitch is.”

Another eye witness told Dorsett: “We was in the bar facing the King Power – my nephew was in a real state of shock.

"He said he saw this helicopter out of control then drop within a second and burst into flames.

"He was so upset – we’re all thinking about the owners here and what they’ve done for the football club. It’s awful, you can’t believe it.”


Later in the evening, Dorsett reported once more to Sky Sports, and he said: "The car park was certainly still populated with people at the time whether that was members of staff leaving the stadium or spectators watching the game.

"It’s so close to the stadium, a couple of hundred metres – if that – from the stands.

"There has be to concern for people who are walking back to their cars or get buses back to the train station and any impact that would have.

“An eye-witness and his nephew ran for their lives, they were that concerned they were going to be hit by the wreckage of the helicopter. It burst into flames as it hit the ground. There has to be concerns for people in and around the area after the game.

Leicester City v West Ham United - Premier League

"However, we must stress, the majority of the crowd would have left by that time.” 

Another eye witness said: "I saw Kasper Schmeichel run out first and then loads of security guards and stewards.

"I was stood outside the ground but it crashed on the other side.

"I hope everyone is OK."

News Now - Sport News