Since Conor McGregor was defeated by his rival Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229, mystery has surrounded what’s next for ‘The Notorious’.
After Nurmagomedov submitted McGregor via neck-crank in the fourth round of their contest, a post-fight brawl spilled over between both fighters teams.
This brawl has led to both McGregor and Nurmagomedov receiving indefinite suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) with their future’s set to be sorted on December 10, when a hearing is set to take place.
Despite Nurmagomedov largely dominating McGregor in the fight, only losing the third round, the former two-weight UFC world champion has made it clear he wishes for a rematch with his Russian rival.
Dana White spoke to media members after UFC 230 and revealed he had a one hour phone call with McGregor who told him he wants a rematch with Nurmagomedov.
White gives an update on McGregor's return
“Conor and I talked for an hour last week,” White said.
“And typical Conor - ‘I would love an immediate rematch, I want to fight him again’,
"'But I’ll fight whoever I got to fight to get back to him if that’s not the case.’
“We’re on the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s time now. We’re waiting until November, or December. Whenever that thing is.”
After McGregor was defeated in October, the Irishman took to Twitter to claim he was ‘looking forward to the rematch’.
However, in a lengthy Instagram post addressing his latest defeat, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion McGregor stated, ‘if it is not the rematch right away, no problem.’
UFC president White has already stated he would like to grant lightweight Tony Ferguson to next title shot against Nurmagomedov, despite that match-up failing to materialise on the four occasions it had been booked for.
With McGregor seemingly accepting he will have to work his up to another shot at the title and Nurmagomedov, who could The Notorious meet next in the octagon?