Sophia Floersch has undergone surgery after her crash on Sunday


Sophia Floersch underwent successful surgery that lasted 11 hours on Monday, according to her father, after she fractured her spine during Macau's Formula 3 Grand Prix.

The German driver fractured her seventh cervical vertebra in the incident, with Japanese driver Sho Tsuboi also sustaining injuries.

The 17-year-old slid out of control on the outside of track limits and appeared to be vaulted into the air as she passed back over the kerbs.

She then collided with Tsuboi before slamming into a temporary structure where photographers and marshals were situated.

Tsuboi was discharged from hospital after treatment, while two photographers and one track marshal were also hospitalised.

According to Motorsport, Chinese photographer Chan Weng Wang will spend 10 days in hospital, having sustained a lacerated liver, and race marshal Chan Cha will also remain under supervision having suffered a broken jaw.

Another photographer Hiroyuki Minami has already been released.

Floersch provided her first update shortly after the race, tweeting that she was "fine", and after an update was posted on her account on Monday, her father shared more positive news later in the day.

Alexander Floersch told Motorsport-Magazin: "According to the attending physicians, the 11-hour operation went well and Sophia is now being monitored in the intensive care unit and will spend the night there from Monday to Tuesday."


Good news then that Floersch's operation went well at least, though, it will still be an anxious few weeks as we wait to discover the true extent of her injuries.

The FIA's president Jean Todt has vowed to launch an investigation into the matter, with Floersch having been sent airborne by kerbs that were installed for 2018's race.

With driver safety becoming increasingly more important in Formula 1 over recent years, new measures such as the 'Halo' have been introduced to try and protect the driver as much as possible in big crashes.

And with big crashes like these also possible in Formula 3, Todt may well have to look at introducing it there as well.

Since the 11-hour operation, Floersch has taken to her official Facebook page to post a statement.

Not many people would have heard of Floersch before this weekend and before the horrific crash, but just after reading the statement, you can tell what sort of person she is.

Very considerate of the others involved, and showing fight that she wants to return to the sport that so nearly ended her life.

Every sporting fan will be willing for her to make a comeback to the sport, especially after seeing the crash and her moving statement posted in the aftermath.

News Now - Sport News