Deontay Wilder recalls what he was thinking as Tyson Fury rose from 12th-round knockdown

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury

Deontay Wilder has admitted his shock at seeing Tyson Fury climb off the canvas not once, but twice, in their WBC heavyweight championship showdown.

The Bronze Bomber has admitted he does not know how Fury managed to drag himself up after a vicious knockdown in the 12th round almost saw the fight stopped.

Fury challenged Wilder at the Staples Center in LA in the early hours of Sunday morning, and the fight ended in a controversial draw decision, which leaves the door wide open for a rematch in the new year.

Whilst the Gypsy King dominated for long spells of the fight with his simple boxing precision and ability, Wilder was always looking to land his trademark right hand to end the fight.

Having taken what Fury threw at him and clambering through to the ninth round without looking a threat, Wilder put Fury down for the first time with a shot to the side of the Brit’s head.

Fury soon got back to his feet, however, and carried on the fight in his attempt to wrestle the WBC title away from Wilder.

In the 12th round, the defending champion thought he had pulled off a huge knockout when he sent Fury crashing to the canvas with a devastating shot.

The Gypsy King seemed down and out, crashing to the canvas seemingly out cold, but suddenly came too and avoided being counted out.

Whilst Fury was trying to regain his senses, Wilder was already celebrating the punch which he thought was enough to put the former heavyweight champion away.

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury

The TV cameras caught his stunning reaction to seeing his opponent back on his feet ready to fight, and he has revealed what was going through his mind at that moment.

“I don’t know how he got up,” explained a mystified Wilder when asked about the sensational knockdown, as per The Metro.

“And I don’t know why they didn’t start the count earlier...I saw his eyes roll back in his head.

“Only god knows how he got back’ll be easier for me to hit him [in a rematch].”

Wilder’s reaction to Fury getting up was captured on TV too, with the American visibly shocked when he turned round to see Tyson Fury standing and ready to continue the fight.

The fight was an entertaining encounter, with Fury showing that despite his hiatus from the ring, he is still one of the very best heavyweight boxers on the planet.

The rematch is sure to take place next year, with both camps willing to enter discussions after the Christmas period in order to tie up a deal as soon as possible.

News Now - Sport News