Anthony Joshua could be facing off against Oleksandr Usyk in April - if you believe what promoter Frank Warren is saying.
With the date already pencilled in and Wembley Stadium booked for April 13, all that is left to find for AJ is a suitable opponent.
Speculation has been rife since the announcement of the fight, with either one of Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury or Dillian Whyte likely.
However, with Wilder and Fury fighting out a draw, and Whyte now having to go through Dereck Chisora later this month, plans could well be scuppered for Joshua, leaving him with no opponent.
The Watford-native is keen to defend his belts early next year, and Warren believes a meeting with Usyk, who defeated Tony Bellew to retire the Liverpudlian, is the more realistic option.
Warren, of course, represents Fury, with Joshua previously embroiled in a verbal spat with the Mancunian "Gypsy King," as both boxers look to set up a meeting somewhere down the line.
However, Sky and Matchroom are keen to match Joshua with Usyk, who is ready to move up to heavyweight and work alongside Eddie Hearn.
“I am now hearing Joshua’s next opponent for April 13 is not going to be Dillian Whyte. It will be Oleksandr Usyk, let them get on with it,” Warren said, speaking to The Daily Star.
“I know why they want to fight Usyk. He is a smaller guy and not much of a puncher,” he concluded.
However, since that interview, according to World Boxing News, Usyk's team have officially ruled out fighting Joshua in April.
Egis Klimas, the manager of Usyk, has quickly moved to rubbish Warren's comments and claims, insisting it is not them fighting the British champion in April.
Although Joshua is certainly on Usyk's radar, his team have said that he needs a couple of heavyweight scraps before he can focus on the big dog of the division.
It seems Warren may need to find some better sources.News Now - Sport News