Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly was subject to racist abuse during the club’s 1-0 defeat to Inter Milan on Wednesday.
The Senegal international was sent off for two bookable offences, one of which appeared to be sarcastically applauding the Inter fans who were abusing him.
Koulibaly reacted by apologising to his teammates in a powerful Instagram post, but emphasised that he is proud of his background.
“I am sorry about the loss and above all to have left my brothers [out on the pitch]," the centre-back wrote on Twitter.
"However I am proud of my skin colour. To be a French, Senegalese and Neapolitan man."
Football, unfortunately, still has a long way to go to completely eradicate racism.
Earlier in December, Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling was the victim of alleged racist abuse by a Chelsea supporter.
Cristiano Ronaldo posts on Instagram
Sterling raised an important discussion by accusing the media of ‘fuelling racism’ and there is a feeling that we need to continue to talk about the matter.
That’s what Cristiano Ronaldo has done with his latest Instagram post.
Sharing a photo of himself competing with Koulibaly, Ronaldo wrote: “In the world and in football I always want education and respect. No to racism and any offence and discrimination!!!”
Koulibaly’s manager Carlo Ancelotti was furious with the incident and says he will have no problem removing his team from the field in future, even if it means being handed a defeat.
“Koulibaly was certainly irritable. Usually, he is very calm and professional, but he was subjected to monkey noises throughout the game," Ancelotti is quoted as telling Sky Sport Italia by the Mirror.
“We asked three times for some action to be taken, but the match continued. We keep being told play can be halted, but when? After four or five announcements?
"Maybe we have to take matters into our own hands next time and stop play ourselves.
"They’ll probably make us lose the game if we walk off, but we are prepared to do it.
"It’s not good for Italian football, seeing this.”