Vince McMahon's return to WWE television was promoted just before the Tables, Ladders and Chairs special event, and it just had to be big news.
The Chairman doesn't return for many things nowadays, only reserved for special shows it seems.
But with the tagline that he was going to 'shake things up' when he came to Monday Night Raw on the December 17 edition, it sounded as though we were getting a mid-season 'Superstar Shake-up' to try and counter-act the declining viewing figures.
That wasn't what we got at all though.
Vince, Stephanie, Shane and Triple H all appeared at the start of Raw to announce changes to both brands, the General Manager role essentially being phased out and all four would be the authority for Raw and SmackDown.
Furthermore it was revealed that they were giving the fans the power to decide which way the product goes - but that hasn't happened yet.
The Christmas Eve episode of Raw saw mostly same-old matchups - Lashley against Elias, six-woman tag matches involving Bayley and Sasha Banks and Seth Rollins against Baron Corbin.
There are new NXT stars coming soon but they're nothing to shout home about - the likes of EC3 and Lars Sullivan are no Johnny Gargano or Velveteen Dream.
Once again this week's Raw was pre-taped to allow stars to spend the new year with their families, and more matches of a similar ilk were booked.
Here are the full results for the New Years Eve episode of Raw, with credit to Cageside Seats.
- Drew McIntyre defeated Dolph Ziggler in a steel cage match.
- Seth Rollins asked for a rematch with Dean Ambrose for the Intercontinental Championship but Triple H showed up to remind him that automatic rematches are done for. He was booked against Bobby Lashley later. He lost that match via DQ when he repeatedly attacked Lashley with a chair.
- Shane McMahon announced a “fresh start” battle royal with the winner earning a shot at the Intercontinental title later in the show. Apollo Crews won said battle royal but lost to Ambrose in their eventual match.
- After the battle royal, Baron Corbin, who was eliminated last, cut a promo and was beaten up and run off by Elias.
- Nia Jax attacked Natalya backstage. Nattie revealed she would be in the Royal Rumble.
- Bayley & Sasha Banks & Ember Moon def. The Riott Squad.
- They announced that Alexa Bliss will be back next week with a talk show called “A Moment of Bliss,” and Ronda Rousey is the first guest.
- Rhyno & Heath Slater, together again, lost to Jinder Mahal & The Singh Brothers.
- Ronda Rousey & Natalya defeated Nia Jax & Tamina.
There's some cool stuff such as the steel cage bout to open the show, but another six-woman tag with the Riott Squad against Bayley, Sasha and Ember, and Rousey and Nattie teaming to face Nia and Tamina again show that nothing fresh is happening yet.
When Raw returns live next Monday we could see the start of a new era, but we might have to wait until after WrestleMania in just over three months time to see the full effects of the 'fresh start' come into play.
Please SUBSCRIBE to our GiveMeSport WWE YouTube channel where we have exclusive interviews and inside scoops.
LISTEN TO OUR LATEST WWE PODCAST WHERE WE TALK TO XAVIER WOODS AND AJ STYLES, AS WELL AS REVIEWING WWE 2K19 AND OUR TRIP TO THE WWE PERFORMANCE CENTERNews Now - Sport News