Anthony Joshua is still without a confirmed challenger for his Wembley date on April 13.
As Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury pursue negotiations for a rematch, AJ could travel to the USA to face BoxRec's fifth-ranked active heavyweight Jarrell Miller, but has already stressed his desire to face Whyte over the American, with the former now a serious threat to Joshua's WBO crown.
Whyte achieved a knockout victory over Dereck Chisora in 11 rounds last month at the O2, his second victory in two years against the 35-year old.
Having also beaten Joseph Parker in last six months, Whyte the time is right to face Joshua again after the sole defeat of his career back in 2015.
Immediately after beating Chisora Whyte stormed out of the ring when Joshua confirmed that he was behind Fury and Wilder in his list of preferred opponents.
The Body Snatcher appears to be Eddie Hearn's plan B for Wembley, as talks with the other Big Two continue to stall.
Whyte spoke critically of his potential opponent in an interview with iFL TV and appeared to enjoy the crowd in attendance at the O2 booing the current champ when he refused to publicly commit to facing him.
''The Golden Goose got angry because fans booed him," he said - skip to 15:40 in the video below to see Whyte troll AJ.
"He's like: 'Why's my fans booing me?'
''I'm a legend, why are they booing me?'
"He went home and cried."
Whyte continued to say that Joshua wasn't a 'badman', and told him to 'relax'.
When questioned on whether or not he would face Joshua in April, Whyte honestly admitted he had 'no idea', claiming that he had not been in contact for Joshua's team.
From what Whyte has heard from boxing's inner circles, he is expecting Joshua and Miller to meet New York in April, and has urged promoter Eddie Hearn to sort out a plan for him over the next few weeks.
Dominic Breazeale has been touted as a possible alternative opponent. The American saw off Carlos Negron in nine rounds in New York on the same day that Whyte knocked out Chisora.