Dillian Whyte has accused heavyweight rival Anthony Joshua of trying to goad him by pronouncing his name incorrectly – Whyte, though, insists he is not affected by his rival's mind games.
The pair are currently locked in negotiations over a potential Wembley Stadium clash on April 13, with the ‘Body Snatcher’ unimpressed by Joshua’s “utterly ridiculous” first offer.
If a deal between the pair can be reached, then it would confirm a long-awaited rematch stemming back from their first clash in 2015, which saw Joshua inflict defeat on Whyte, the solo defeat of his professional boxing career to date.
The 30-year-old would argue that he has matured since their first fight, in which Joshua dominated throughout and eventually KO’d Whyte in the seventh round.
Following Whyte’s fight with Dereck Chisora last month, AJ entered the ring and exchanged words with the victor, igniting the possibility of the potential rematch.
Joshua is known to pronounce Whyte’s first name as ‘Dylan’ rather than ‘Dillian’ – missing out the ‘ee’ syllable and Whyte has finally spoken out.
In a revealing interview with Jim White of talkSPORT, Whyte admitted that he feels as though AJ does it on purpose to try and get in his head,
“AJ likes to be in control.
“He likes to control the situation – that’s why he got so angry when the fans started booing him at the [Dereck Chisora] fight. He really went into one.
“He thinks those little things annoy me because a few years ago that would’ve annoyed me.
“But now I don’t care. I said my point, threw the mic down and walked off, so he felt like he lost control.”
The bad feeling between the pair is clear to see, with Whyte clearly insulted by the offer received from Joshua’s camp, and considering a potential fight with the retired Wladimir Klitschko instead.
“It’s utterly ridiculous. It’s way less than what I made against Chisora basically.
“I’ll fight Wladimir Klitschko and knock him out if he comes back, I’ll definitely knock him out,” Whyte also told talkSPORT.