UFC

.

Khabib Nurmagomedov explains why he doesn't want a rematch with Conor McGregor

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Khabib Nurmagomedov is yet to be booked for another UFC Lightweight Championship defense, but the Russian has already ruled out a rematch against Conor McGregor.

Khabib defended his Lightweight title against McGregor back in October last year UFC 229, winning the fight via fourth-round rear naked choke submission.

Although The Eagle dominated much of the fight, Notorious did manage to win the third round, which was the first time the undefeated Russian actually lost a round in his UFC career.

Since the fight ended, there have been talks of a possible rematch between the two, even though Khabib dominated. UFC president Dana White has even teased that he hopes to book Nurmagomedov vs McGregor 2 sometime in 2019.

However, the UFC Lightweight Champion himself has said that he doesn't want to have a rematch with the Irishman, and he doesn't understand why he is even being considered.

Nurmagomedov explained when speaking to Submission Radio in Australia, via MMA Weekly: “I have a big team. You know, my father, Javier Mendez, my management. And everybody thinks a little bit different.

Khabib Nurmagomedov says he doesn't want a rematch vs Conor McGregor

"If you talk about it, my father thinks different, Javier [Mendez] thinks different, my management thinks different. But when the athletic commission makes a decision, we’re gonna sit with my old team and make a decision what I’m gonna do next.

“But right now, if you guys ask me, of course he [Conor McGregor does] not deserve a title shot rematch, Conor, because he lose, he tapped. It wasn’t a close fight. I dominated him everywhere in every aspect and I beat him. Like a told, I smashed him. Why we need a rematch?”

For now, it looks as though McGregor is going to have to work himself back up into the Lightweight title picture by winning one or two fights in 2019 before potentially facing Khabib again later in the year.

However, neither Khabib or McGregor will know about their fighting future until they have their hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission for the post-fight brawl between them and their teams after their bout at UFC 229.

The Eagle's hearing takes place next week on January 29 and if suspended, he could miss the vast majority of 2019.

Topics:
UFC
Khabib Nurmagomedov
Conor McGregor

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again