Fans of MMA around the world had all eyes on Las Vegas this past Tuesday as the hearing took place for the aftermath of Conor McGregor versus Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 back in October 2018.
It had been postponed several times but the Nevada State Athletic Commission finally came to a decision on January 29.
Khabib was given the heavier punishments - a nine-month ban backdated from the date of the fight, reduced to six months if he took part in an anti-bullying campaign. Added onto this was a fine of $500,000.
McGregor meanwhile received just a $50,000 fine and a six-month backdated suspension for punching Khabib's brother Abubakar whilst on top of the cage, so he's free to enter the Octagon once again in April.
Abubakar and fellow cornerman Zubaira Tukhugov received the longest bans though of one year, and Khabib has since promised to stand by them, which means the Lightweight champion won't return to the Octagon until at least October.
There's always one man guaranteed to have a say on matters and that is UFC President Dana White.
And he's criticised NSAC for the punishment given out to Khabib specifcially, and has had his say on the commisson's plans to crack down on pre-fight trash talk.
“I was obviously surprised how much they put on Khabib,” White told ESPN Sports Center, per MMAMania.
“It was a half-million dollars and six months if he does some PSAs. They had the whole thing contained in seconds. It was a little harsh in my opinion. It is what it is.”
And with the NSAC chairman Anthony Marnell III stating: "We are going to start fining and suspending for what you say as opposed to what you do," fighters like McGregor are going to start having to curb their language and nature of their trash talk before fights, but again White does not agree.
“These guys are talking about fighters saying mean things to each other and all this other stuff," White continued.
“If you break it down and you go back to when [Muhammad] Ali fought [Joe] Frazier, and you look at the times when it happened, the stuff he said about Frazier and to Frazier was horrible. Horrible things you didn’t say to somebody else back then.”
Several other MMA figures have stated that the huge fine seems harsh on Khabib, but it's not stopped Dillon Danis, the man Nurmagomedov went for after submitting McGregor, responding to the Russian on Twitter.
Khabib and Conor are destined to go at it again one more time, it's the biggest money-spinner for the UFC at this time and if they have to wait a year for it to happen - then so be it.News Now - Sport News