Jose Aldo says he wants a rematch with Conor McGregor

UFC Media Day with Jose Aldo

After achieving back-to-back wins for the first time in over four years, Jose Aldo reinserted himself as a hot topic of UFC discussion last night at UFC Fortaleza.

Several UFC fighters mentioned Aldo on social media after he managed to win vs Renato Moicano via second-round TKO in the co-main event of UFC Fortaleza.

This was his second consecutive knockout victory after finishing Jeremy Stephens with strikes last summer, and it caught the attention of one Conor McGregor.

Notorious was watching UFC Fortaleza last night, as he tweeted his respect to how the event unfolded.

He also stated that he was close to finalizing a fight in Rio de Janeiro back in 2018, which was likely against Rafael dos Anjos.

McGregor's tweet

He tweeted: "What an amazing atmosphere at UFC Brazil tonight. I would LOVE to compete there for all the passionate Brazilian fans at some stage of my career.

"I was so close to securing a bout in Rio last year. It was essentially a done deal. Maybe next time. Ui Vai Morrer!!!! I’m still here."

Aldo's response

Throughout his career, Aldo has only been beaten by two fighters, McGregor and Max Holloway.

At Saturday’s post-fight press conference, via MMA Fighting, the Brazilian fighter was asked to respond to Notorious' tweet, and how it would feel for him to fight the Irishman once more. 

He said: “To me it would be great. I don’t know if this fight he said [would be] in Rio, it didn’t get to me, but if I have that opportunity at the division above, that way I don’t have to suffer through the weight cut, I think it would be a great fight.

“I think in the first fight we weren’t able to show my work. He connected with a great punch, but if you have another opportunity, I think the story’s going to be different.”

UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor

Aldo and McGregor's first battle inside the Octagon happened at UFC 194 in December 2015, and it ended after just 13 seconds when Notorious knocked out the Brazilian, winning the UFC Featherweight title in the process.

With two fights left in his contract, Aldo is looking at possibly retiring from MMA at the end of the year, meaning any fight between him and McGregor will likely have to happen in 2019.

This might be a taller order given how in demand the Irishman is, along with his suspension until April.

News Now - Sport News