The second of three Championship vs Premier League FA Cup fifth round encounters this weekend take us to the South Coast on Saturday lunchtime and although this is the only tie which sees the top flight team at home, it also is arguably the one that is most in the balance.
BRIGHTON VS DERBY COUNTY
Brighton were perceived as a team that was comfortably mid-table and not one included in the relegation dogfight this season.
However, momentum has escaped the Seagulls as of late and now manager Chris Hughton will have to decide whether the cup is a worthy distraction or not.
Frank Lampard’s Derby County have already knocked out Premier League opposition in the shape of Southampton, although they needed two bites of the cherry in which to do so.
An opportunity they won’t have this time around, as there are no longer replays at this stage of the competition.
- Brighton have not won any of their last six Premier League matches and have lost four out of the last five.
- The Seagulls are averaging just 1.07 goals a Premier League game this season.
- Derby are unbeaten in their last four Championship outings.
Both teams have had to rely on penalties to help them advance in the competition this season and therefore it could well be that we see a stalemate at The AMEX. The draw after 90 minutes is available with GiveMeBet at 51/20.
AFC WIMBLEDON VS MILLWALL
Two League One outfits have made it to the fifth round of the competition and AFC Wimbledon will be eyeing up the £250,000 prize money for the side that progresses the furthest from English football’s third tier.
Wally Downes men performed one of the shocks of the previous stage, when they disposed of Premier League outfit West Ham by three goals to two and they will look to do something similar when Millwall make the short trip across London.
And of course, one should not forget that Millwall also got the better of top flight opponents in the fourth round, as the Championship strugglers turned in one of their best performances of the season against Marco Silva’s Everton.
- AFC Wimbledon find themselves bottom of League One, although their last league outing saw them earn a 1-0 away win at Walsall.
- They subsequently have scored the fewest goals in the division with just 23 to their name, an average of 0.71 a game.
- Millwall have not won any of their last five league matches, earning just three points from a possible 15 on offer.
Both teams will be looking for league relief and AFC Wimbledon probably have less to lose what with them already being cast adrift in League One. Some cup cheer and a win over Millwall can be found at GiveMeBet at a price of 14/5.
NEWPORT COUNTY VS MANCHESTER CITY
A true David and Goliath clash is upon us on Saturday evening at Rodney Parade, as League Two outfit Newport County play host to the footballing juggernaut which is otherwise known as Manchester City.
Newport have already secured £250k of their own after making the furthest progress out of all of the fourth tier clubs and are set for another bumper television payday when the defending Premier League champions come to town.
However, the Welsh outfit will have to be wary when you consider that City can hand out thrashings no matter the size of the opposition. Whether you are Burton or Chelsea, nothing will get in their way. Newport you have been warned.
- In their last six league games, City have picked up 15 points from a possible 18 and averaged 3 goals per game.
- Sergio Aguero is the Premier League’s joint top scorer with 17 goals, six of those have come in this last three matches
- Newport’s top league scorer this season is Padraig Armond with the Irish forward netting no fewer than 11 times.
City are looking to compete on all fronts this season and although stranger things have happened, it will likely be a case of just how many they fancy scoring not if they win the tie. You can get Over 4.5 total goals in the game with GiveMeBet at 6/5.