Senior Chelsea figure once told journalist a transfer ban "might be the best thing" for them

Chelsea v Derby County - Carabao Cup Fourth Round

Chelsea cannot catch a break at the moment.

Earlier this month the Blues were humiliated 6-0 by Manchester City in the Premier League, and on Monday they exited the FA Cup to Manchester United, losing 2-0 at home.

Thursday night's 3-0 win over Malmo to secure a place in the Europa League last 16 gave fans reason to cheer, but on Friday morning they were dealt with some very bad news.

Chelsea have been handed a transfer ban by FIFA for the next two transfer windows for breaching rules regarding the transfer of minors.

It means they can't sign any players in the 2019 summer transfer window or 2020 winter transfer window. FIFA have also fined the west London club £460,000.

A statement from FIFA read: "The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has sanctioned the English club Chelsea FC and The Football Association for breaches relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18.

"Chelsea was found to have breached art. 19 of the Regulations in the case of twenty-nine (29) minor players and to have committed several other infringements relating to registration requirements for players.

"The club also breached art. 18 of the Regulations in connection with two agreements it concluded concerning minors and which allowed it to influence other clubs in transfer-related matters.

"The Disciplinary Committee sanctioned Chelsea with a ban on registering new players at both national and international level for the next two (2) complete and consecutive registration periods.

Chelsea v Malmo FF - UEFA Europa League Round of 32: Second Leg

"This ban applies to the club as a whole - with the exception of the women's and futsal teams - and does not prevent the release of players."

Chelsea have since announced they will appeal FIFA's decision, so there's a chance they could get the ban suspended and sign players this summer.

In light of the news, the Telegraph's Jason Burt has recalled a private conversation he once had with a senior figure at Chelsea about what a transfer ban would mean for them.

Burt claims the senior figure said it "might actually be the best thing for the club as it would finally give youth a chance" (see below).

Chelsea's lack of faith in youth players is well known and it seems even senior figures at the club are desperate for that to change.

And maybe, just maybe, it's about to.

News Now - Sport News