The unheard conversations from the referee's mic during Wales V England Six Nations clash

Wales v England - Guinness Six Nations

Wales have gone top of the table in the Six Nations following Saturday’s emphatic 21-13 victory over England in Cardiff. 

Warren Gatland’s Wales recorded their 12th successive victory against an England side that many tipped as favourites to win the Grand Slam. 

The home side looked shaky in the first half and trailed 10-3 after a Tom Curry try for the Red and Whites put them ahead.

The Dragons now have a winning mentality and, in a game where they could have crumbled and claimed that England were simply too good, Gatland’s side stood up to be counted for.

It was a late comeback from Wales - a 68th minute try from Cory Hill, and a 78th minute try from Josh Adams secured the victory. 

The incidents during the hard fought 80-minute match could be seen and heard by most in the ground and watching on TV around the world. However, there are some things that cannot be heard, such as the conversations between the players and the referee Jaco Peyper. 

The first interesting discussion was picked up during a scrum in the first half.

Wales prop Rob Evans was in the ear of the South African touch judge beforehand, clearly frustrated with how a previous scrum had been refereed.

Once packed down, Evans clearly took exception to something England prop Kyle Sinckler had done previously and pushed the Englishman.

Wales v England - Guinness Six Nations

Peyper followed up by saying: “Rob, if you do that again, I’m giving a penalty. I’m doing my best.”

This then led to an exchange between Evans and Peyper during the next break in play and Evans clarified why he had gotten so riled up.

“At that last scrum, he headbutted Ken (Owens), when they came up, he banged him in the head.”

Peyper responded rather firmly, “Don’t start anything I have to deal with.”

England v Australia - Quilter International

The atmosphere at the Welsh National stadium was electric throughout, and as Wales fought back in the second half, the Welsh fans turned the noise up a further notch.

Whilst the noise and backing spurred the players on, it was clear that at times it was a bit of a hindrance to the players and officials. 

Communication issues started early, when referee Peyper’s headset fell out during the first phase of play. That led to complete radio silence as the official tried to explain why he penalised Justin Tipuric for a no-arms tackle on England’s Billy Vunipola.

An unidentified English player barked at the referee during one first half scrum, “we can’t hear you.” 

The response from the official was simply, “I’m speaking as loud as I can.” 

Wales v England - Guinness Six Nations

It wasn’t just the English who were struggling with the noise. Wales captain Alun Wyn Jones had been struggling with his voice for a number of weeks and was picked up bellowing at the referee during one first half scrum, “Can you hear me now? Can you hear me now?” 

The referee, the crowd and everyone watching and listening at home could quite clearly hear one order from England number eight Billy Vunipola during the scrum in the 15th minute.

“No f*****g freebies, come on let’s go!”

A clear and to the point message.

News Now - Sport News