Deontay Wilder's decision to reject a massive offer from DAZN to broadcast his fights in America has been the major topic of discussion this week.
The streaming service offered Wilder a multi-fight package worth $100 million – these included two fights with Anthony Joshua, who currently holds the remaining belts in the heavyweight division, which his American counterpart is eager to get his hands on.
Last week, fans were given what turned out to be false hope as it emerged the American would be meeting with the streaming service – who also broadcast AJ in the States.
However, it was confirmed the 33-year-old will stick with Showtime and turn down the DAZN offer when his May 18 fight against Dominic Breazeale was announced on Tuesday.
“So many people try to dictate my career and tell me, ‘I should do this, I should do that, I shouldn’t do this, I shouldn’t do that’,” Wilder tried to explain.
- Deontay Wilder insists he is not ducking Joshua after Breazeale announcement
- Eddie Hearn reacts to Deontay Wilder turning down $100m deal
- Joshua explains decision to stay at humble flat in Sheffield ahead of Miller bout
“$12.5m is laughable now, $15m is laughable. All this stuff I was supposed to have done, I didn’t do none of that and now look at my career.
“I’m betting on myself and you can’t go wrong with yourself.”
A key member of Wilder's team who also attended the meeting with DAZN was his co-manager Shelly Finkel.
He claims that one of the main reasons talks broke down was due to not being told what Joshua was earning for his participation in the two fights.
It seemed that any potential deal that was put on the table for Wilder had been declined as Finkel explained that DAZN never provided any of the financial specifics regarding to what Joshua was being paid.
“We asked how much is Joshua getting, and we were never told the answer,” Finkel said to the Los Angeles Times, per Boxing Scene.
“What they offered sounded good, but it might not sound so good if the other guy is getting double or triple it, and we never knew what that number was.”
His co-manager also pointed out that only a few months ago his fighter was offered a guarantee of $15 million, by Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn.
The WBC champion rejected that deal without hesitancy and instead faced another Brit in Tyson Fury on December 1 – a fight which ended in a controversial draw from a split decision.
“When they pulled [the $15-million offer] away, they said, ‘Oh, what’s going to happen? You have no one.’ We had someone. We had Fury,” Finkel continued.
“And today, Deontay is way bigger than he was then, and we were offered by the same people a multiple of what we were offered before.”
“Can you imagine in six months what they’re going to want?”
Showtime Sports President Stephen Espinoza explained to the paper that both DAZN and ESPN are attempting to tie Wilder to multi-fight agreements, so the American can face the likes of Joshua or Fury.
Espinoza is open to the idea of a joint event with either DAZN or ESPN though - similar to how his company came together with HBO in 2015 for the Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao pay-per-view.
“We need to get back to working on making these fights,” Espinoza said.
“Let’s get back to basics. Everyone took their shot at getting a multi-fight deal with Deontay, it did not work. So let’s work on what we should have been working on since day one, and that’s making the big fights.”News Now - Sport News