Conor McGregor has once again to decided to retire from the sport of MMA, but it's unclear if this is his true intent as he has done this once before.
The former UFC Lightweight Champion's suspension will expire on April 6, and he's already had talks about who he could fight next inside the Octagon.
Donald Cerrone was the favourite to get the nod to fight Notorious, but other possible opponents that have been rumoured are Nate Diaz, Khabib Nurmagomedov, and Anthony Pettis.
However, it looks as though none of those fights will happen thanks to his retirement announcement.
McGregor tweeted out to his fans that he is retiring from the sport of 'Mixed Martial Art' and that he wishes everyone else well moving forward.
- Woodley challenges McGregor to welterweight clash
- McGregor considered handing Aldo rematch at UFC 237
- Pettis targets McGregor after defeating Thompson at UFC Nashville
He said in his tweet: "Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.
"I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition. I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!"
There were thoughts that the Irishman would fight against Cerrone following the conclusion of his suspension, but those talks have been halted because UFC wanted him to fight in a co-main event slot. He'd only accept that spot if he was given his fair share of UFC ownership.
Cerrone was booked last week against Al Iaquinta for a card in May, so any fight vs McGregor will now have to wait.
There are many MMA fans that are finding it hard to believe that McGregor is retiring, as he's done this once before.
Back in 2016, Conor said he was stepping away from the Octagon after the UFC pulled him from UFC 200 following his unwillingness to go on a media tour. He later went back on this decision.
He said back then: “I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya’s later.”
Notorious was on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon on Monday night as well and made no hints about retirement, saying he was in discussions to fight this summer instead.
McGregor told Fallon, via MMA Fighting: “We’re in talks for July. So we’ll see what happens. A lot of politics going on. The fight game is a mad game. But again, like I said, and to my fans, I am in shape and I am ready.”
McGregor did say that he doesn't have to fight for financial reasons, due to his past success and the profitability of his Proper 12 whiskey.
“In reality, I can pick who I please. I’ve done a lot, I’ve fought a lot. I’ve never pulled out of contests. I’ve gone through some crazy injuries, some crazy external situations that many a man would sprint for the hills if it happened to them. But I stood firm, done my piece for the company …
"Like I said, this whiskey is my baby. I have a lot of great entities. I don’t necessarily need to fight. I am set for life, my family is set for life. We are good. But I am eager to fight. So, we will see what happens. I’m just staying ready, as I like to say.”
We'll have to wait and see if McGregor's second retirement statement is true this time, or if he will step back into the Octagon again in the near future.