Manchester City reach FA Cup final with win over Brighton at Wembley

Manchester City beat Brighton to book their place in the FA Cup final with a 1-0 win at Wembley on Saturday evening. 

Gabriel Jesus gave City the perfect start, stooping low to head in the opening goal after just three minutes. 

That proved to be the only goal of the game, with the Premier League title contenders doing enough to hold on to a slender lead in a very tense semi-final. 

The result means Pep Guardiola’s side will return to Wembley once again next month to contest the final – with a historic quadruple well in reach. 

Any hopes of a cup upset were dashed within the opening minutes when Jesus capped off a brilliant City move. 

Aymeric Laporte sent a brilliant ball to the left flank, where Bernardo Silva laid off a pass for Kevin De Bruyne. 

The Belgian whipped a dangerous cross into the six-yard box, where Jesus squeezed between two Brighton defenders to head home. 

There was drama later in the first half as Kyle Walker reacted to a challenge by squaring up to Alireza Jahanbakhsh and appeared to brush his head down the Brighton players face. 

VAR interveined and decided that his actions only warranted a yellow card. Guardiola’s side went into the break 1-0 up but were more than comfortable. 

Brighton stepped things up in the second period and controlled possession in the opening spell.

From a corner, Shane Duffy saw a header brilliantly cleared off the line by Laporte when the ball looked destined to nestle in the net. 

City were far from their best but stepped things up with half an hour to play.

Raheem Sterling, fresh off a hat-trick at Wembley for England, tried his luck from distance in the 62nd minute, but Mathew Ryan made a comfortable save. 

Neither team were able to force a clear cut opportunity in the final exchanges and in the end, it was a case of City almost limping across the finish line. 

Guardiola’s side will face either Wolves or Watford in the final on May 18. 

News Now - Sport News