Betting on football matches can be a cruel experience.
Often is the case that only one team will let you down on an accumulator, denying you a nice sum of money.
And it’s regularly the team that you most expected to win, as well.
The joy of seeing a bold bet come in is unparalleled but the cash-out option often means many fans take their money and run.
And in many cases, that’s a wise move.
But spare a thought for one football fan who may have produced the worst cash-out decision ever.
The punter placed £1 on a 15-fold accumulator, with the bet returning £24,641.22.
Punter misses out on £24,000
The exact set of fixtures that he bet on is below, with the results that he predicted in brackets.
- Tottenham Hotspur (win) vs Crystal Palace
- Chelsea (win) vs Brighton & Hove Albion
- Accrington Stanley vs Sunderland (win)
- Maidenhead United vs Barnet (win)
- Maidstone United vs Salford City (win)
- Rangers (win) vs Hearts
- St Mirren vs Celtic (win)
- Athletic Bilbao (win) vs Levante
- Bournemouth vs Burnley (win)
- Norwich City (win) vs Queens Park Rangers
- Birmingham City (win) vs Leeds United
- Millwall (win) vs West Bromwich Albion
- Aston Villa (win) vs Sheffield United
- Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic (win)
- Portsmouth (win) vs Wycombe Wanderers
But the punter didn’t see the bet through, cashing out early for just £14.32. Nightmare.
The fan shared his woes with his friend, writing: “I’m speechless mate I’m kicking myself.
“I didn’t learn my lesson.. gunna go and crawl into a deep park hole…”
Many football fans were left baffled, with one writing on Twitter: “Why cash out on 14 quid 😂 couldn't even get a freddo for that these days.”
Another added: "At what point did he think casing out for FOURTEEN POUNDS was a good idea?"
Sometimes just a little bit of faith can go a long way.
No doubt next time the punter will not be cashing out early.