Brian Laws has stepped down as the manager of Burnley at the request of chairman Barry Kilby.
Laws' future was plunged into doubt following the home defeat at the hands of former club Scunthorpe, with operational director Brendan Flood confirming talks would be held over the 49-year-old's future but the club decided to part company with Laws sooner, confirming he had been asked to step aside from his post.
Chairman Kilby told www.burnleyfootballclub.com: "I have telephoned Brian and have asked him to step down as manager of Burnley Football Club."
He added: "Everyone is naturally disappointed and frustrated that recent results have not gone as we would have hoped.
"The board of directors has therefore decided that we need a fresh approach in order to achieve our goal of returning to the Premier League."
The club said a further statement would be released on Thursday.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms