Liverpool fan hit disabled nine-year-old Chelsea supporter with smoke bomb

Liverpool FC v Chelsea FC - Premier League

What an occasion at Anfield on Sunday.

On the eve of the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy, Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-0 to move back to the top of the Premier League.

Ahead of kick-off, Anfield remembered the 96 fans that went to the 1989 FA Cup semi-final and never came home.

That includes the away fans, who had been criticised last week after a small minority were filmed signing a racist song about former player Mohamed Salah.

On Friday, Chelsea released an official statement to their fans urging them to pay their respects.

“The actions of a mindless and unwanted minority in Prague has once again brought a spotlight upon Chelsea supporters, embarrassing the club and their fellow fans. It is our expectation that this will not be repeated in Liverpool, and where there is evidence of any inappropriate or disrespectful behaviour, we will take the strongest possible action,” it read.

The Chelsea fans behaved impeccably during that minute.


However, during the game, there were some unsavoury scenes.

Following Sadio Mane’s header to put Liverpool 1-0 up, one home fan threw a red smoke bomb into the travelling section.

Images and footage have been shared online and the Daily Mail are reporting that a disabled nine-year-old fan needed medical treatment as a result.

Donte Patterson-Stanley was taken to the stadium's first-aid area after inhaling the smoke and was put on a nebuliser to open up his airways.

Donte's mother Frances Stanley told the newspaper: "Shortly after the smoke bomb was thrown into the away end, my son's eyes went quite red and itchy and very watery.

"He was coughing non-stop and sneezing which he wasn't doing just beforehand.

"One of the stewards came over and asked if he was OK and then offered to get one of the paramedics over to have a look at him. They came over straight away then took us to the first aid room.


"They were a bit concerned about his oxygen levels so proceeded to give him nebuliser to open his airways. It did help as the coughing eased off and he calmed quite a bit.

"My son has special needs with developmental delays. It was all a bit much for him and with him not understanding what was going on, he became very anxious."


The youngster was then sick on the coach on the way back, which his mother believed was 'the after-effects of everything that went on.'

Thankfully, he seems to have made a full recovery.

Hopefully, the guilty Liverpool fan in question is severely punished.

Not something we wanted to hear and see on a day that was supposed to remember the 96 fans that died at Hillsborough.

News Now - Sport News