Luis Ortiz has confirmed that he won’t be fighting Anthony Joshua on June 1 despite previously stating that he was available.
Joshua had been due to fight American Jarrell Miller, but he was not granted a licence for the fight as a result of failing three drug tests.
Ortiz had been seen as one of those who would be a great choice for Joshua’s fight before Miller was announced, and Eddie Hearn named him as his first choice to replace the Big Baby last week.
The Cuban boxer had previously stated that he would fight Joshua for any purse which was offered, but has ruled himself out following the low offers being put forward this time around.
“So look, if you want to fight I’m here and stop saying I priced myself out because I’ve never had no offers to fight you," Ortiz said to Boxing Scene back in February.
- Tyson Fury denies losing to Michael Hunter
- Anthony Joshua is Freddie Roach's favourite heavyweight
- Luis Ortiz confirms Anthony Joshua fight is a no-go
“With all respect to you for all you have done, I’ll fight you for just about any money you offer me so if you can’t work out the Miller fight, I’m here and ready. I’ll fight you in the USA or UK.
“It’s on you and if you think you’re that good and want to test yourself who better than me? Wilder and Fury are not available and I believe in my heart to be the best you must face the best."
But, following Miller’s failure to get a licence, Ortiz has ruled himself out of fighting at Madison Square Garden on June 1 because the offer was too low.
Somewhat hypocritical of Ortiz, no?
“We just received news from promoter that it’s a no go and it was all a gimmick and Hearn's low ball offers will not be accepted and no contract even ever got sent so sorry to all the loyal fans .. Luis really wanted this title shot,” Ortiz posted to Instagram alongside a side-by-side picture of himself and Joshua.
Despite the current lack of opponent, Joshua seems to be keeping on track with his training and isn’t fretting and remains confident that he will have someone to fight.
“I keep my head down and try to stay out of trouble, that’s the best thing I can do, and deliver in the ring,” said the Hertfordshire boxer.
“June 1, MSG, it’s still going down. The landlord will still come and collect his rent.”
They are expected to name his opponent within the next few days.News Now - Sport News