Kell Brook set to pull out of Anthony Joshua undercard on June 1

Kell Brook Media Workout

Kell Brook is set to withdraw from fighting on the Anthony Joshua v Andy Ruiz Jr undercard next month, after failing to secure an opponent for the titanic bill on June 1 at Madison Square Garden, in New York.

According to World Boxing News, Timescale restraints had also come into play which left the Sheffield man ‘treading water,’ hoping that a name would come out the pot and he could get back in the ring.

The 33-year-old is hopeful of landing a prime time fight in the US further down the line, and has considered taking his team across the Atlantic to further his training and attract a blockbuster opponent such as Terence Crawford or Danny Garcia.

‘The Special One’ is rumoured to be on the hunt for a new head trainer after his split from Dominic Ingle late last year, and has most recently been working with former pro and close friend John Fewkes, who was in his corner for his last fight with Michael Zerafa, in December.

Brook was certainly enthusiastic when speaking earlier this year regarding a potential mega-fight, after injuries kept the former IBF world champion to just one bout in 12 months.

“I’m brand new, I’m ready for those massive fights," said Brook.

“I’ve got plenty more to give for the fans. I’m excited about these big fights."

Brook believes at 33, he is still one of the best pound-for-pound boxers in the world, but admits he needs the “fear factor” to stimulate him – and that can only come from facing big names.

Kell Brook v Sergey Rabchenko

His views are sadly not shared by rival Errol Spence Jr, who took his IBF welterweight title at Bramall Lane in 2017.

“I feel like Kell Brook is not the same fighter as before,” said Spence, via Boxing Scene.

“Golovkin broke one eye socket, I broke the other eye socket. He’s not the same fighter.

“In his last fight, he didn’t look good at all.”

Another option for Brook is a much anticipated domestic encounter with Amir Khan.

The fight was almost confirmed back in December, but the Olympic silver medallist opted instead to fight WBO champion Crawford, where he was outclassed from the opening bell and eventually withdrew in the sixth round after a low blow from the American.

Terence Crawford v Amir Khan

Since campaigning for the dust-up to no avail, Brook has claimed he is no longer interested in Khan, who has fought under the same promotional company, Matchroom Boxing, in his last three encounters.

Undoubtedly, Eddie Hearn will look to secure this all-British match-up for later this year, in what would be one of the largest pay-per-view welterweight events in the sport's history, and would catapult the victor’s name into world title contention with the various governing bodies.

News Now - Sport News