Everybody knows that Neymar holds the world record for the highest transfer fee in history
Money in football was changed forever when Paris Saint-Germain made a lucrative €222 million bid in the summer of 2017, breaking the previous record by more than double.
The crazy fees paid for Cristiano Ronaldo and Paul Pogba never looked so paltry and it kickstarted a trend that has seen fees exceed €100 million on a regular basis.
It's certainly crazy to think that the world record stood at 'just' £15 million for Alan Shearer in 1996, while Raheem Sterling moving for £49 million had everyone shocked in 2015.
However, one metric that isn't assessed so often is combined transfer fees and which players have had the most money spent on them throughout their career.
- On this day in 2014, Argentina 0-1 Germany
- Bakayoko slammed for display vs St. Patrick's
- Butland takes 3 penalties in Stoke shootout
Crazy money in football
Obviously, making so many transfers is key to totalling up the big numbers, but some of the lucrative fees in the current market means that players can climb the rankings at a serious rate of knots.
In the end, Neymar still comes out on top, with both Barcelona and PSG paying hefty fees for his services - bringing a total of €310 million that puts him well clear of the rest.
Biggest combined transfer fees
It will come as little surprise that Ronaldo collects the silver medal, but surprising names like Alvaro Morata and Angel Di Maria are where the list takes a bizarre turn.
Using combined transfer fees calculated by Spanish publication AS, check out the top 15 players with the highest total transfer fees in history:
1. Neymar - €310 million
2. Cristiano Ronaldo - €230 million
3. Alvaro Morata - €179 million
4. Angel Di Maria - €179 million
5. Zlatan Ibrahimovic - €169 million
6. Philippe Coutinho - €161 million
7. Gonzalo Higuain - €159 million
8. James Rodriguez - €140 million
9. Ousmane Dembele - €140 million
10. Romelu Lukaku - €138 million
11. Eden Hazard - €135 million
12. Kylian Mbappe - €135 million
13. Nicola Anelka - €127 million
14. Joao Felix - €127 million
15. Paulinho - €126 million
Who do you think is the most valuable player of all time? Have your say in the comments section below.News Now - Sport News