Liverpool beat Chelsea on penalties to win the UEFA Super Cup

Adrian saved Tammy Abraham's penalty in the shootout

Liverpool have beaten Chelsea 5-4 on penalties to win the UEFA Super Cup, with Tammy Abraham missing the crucial spot kick in Istanbul.

It was a very even game in the Turkish capital, with both sides guilty of fatigue in the latter stages of the game.

Olivier Giroud scored the opening goal of the game, before a brace from Sadio Mane had the Reds 2-1 up in extra-time.

But Jorginho was on hand to equalise from the penalty spot shortly after, sending the game to a shootout.

And Abraham was the only player to miss his penalty, handing Jurgen Klopp his second trophy as Liverpool manager.

Klopp celebrates

The Reds handed a first competitive start in over a year-and-a-half to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, while Chelsea recalled N'Golo Kante to the starting XI.

Summer signing Christian Pulisic was also given the nod in attack alongside Giroud and Pedro Rodriguez.

Mohamed Salah had the first big chance of the game on 16 minutes after Oxlade-Chamberlain put him one-on-one with Kepa, but the Spaniard was equal to the Egyptian's powerful low effort.

Six minutes later, Pedro rattled the crossbar with a rocket of a strike from inside the area after a great one-two with Giroud.

Chelsea continued to create chances thereafter, with Mateo Kovacic and Pulisic both being thwarted by fantastic last-ditch tackles from Liverpool's defence.

But the Blues' dominance paid off in the 36th minute as Giroud gave them a 1-0 lead from a beautiful through ball from Pulisic.

The American sucked in five Liverpool defenders and then played a perfect reverse pass to Giroud, who slid the ball under Adrian.

Just before half-time, Pulisic also had a wonderful solo effort disallowed correctly for an offside call on the American in the build-up.

But Liverpool responded three minutes after the break as Mane equalised, with Roberto Firmino - who had just come on - setting up his strike partner after a lofted pass from Fabinho.

Mane bundles home the equaliser

After a frantic start to the second-half by Liverpool, mainly due to the arrival of Firmino, the game became a far more even affair, with Kante running the show in midfield.

But on 74 minutes, Kepa produced a stunning double save to deny Salah from a corner and then he miraculously kept out Virgil van Dijk on the rebound, with the goal at the Dutchman's mercy.

Kepa's saves ensured the game went to extra-time in Istanbul, an outcome no team wanted prior to kick-off.

Mane then took it upon himself to make sure Liverpool fans were cheering extra-time on 95 minutes, as he fired home his second after a brilliant cutback from Firmino.

However, the scores were level again five minutes later as Jorginho equalised from the penalty spot after Adrian had brought down Abraham.

Jorginho's penalty

But neither side could find a winner in extra-time, with the game decided by a penalty shootout.

And it was Abraham who missed the only spot kick, handing Liverpool and Klopp their second trophy in just three months.

News Now - Sport News