Manchester United found out they'd lost the 2012 title when trophy podium was taken away

Manchester United's English striker Wayn

"Manchester City are still alive here. Balotelli...Agueroooooo!!!!!"

Regardless of who you support, that goal on the final day of the 2011/12 season has gone down as one of the most iconic moments in Premier League history. 

Sergio Aguero's injury time strike against ten-man QPR handed City the title at the expense of Manchester United, who thought they had done enough with a 1-0 win over Sunderland.

Red Devils fans no doubt still have the image of Sir Alex Ferguson looking crestfallen etched in their minds as it transpired what had unfolded at the Etihad. 

On the last day of any campaign, news always travels quickly whether that's because of fans on their phones, or staff near the dugout who have access to games at other stadia. 

It's never been quite known how United found out they had been denied a 20th title, until former goalkeeping coach Eric Steele spoke to The Athletic. 

Steele has recalled how the podium for the Premier League trophy was already being wheeled onto the pitch because there was so little added time at the Stadium of Light. 

"Wayne had scored the winner at the Stadium of… we'll have to rename that one, and we'd finished so early. Just two minutes of extra time," he explained. 

Manchester City's Belgian captain Vincen

"We actually saw the podium being brought on to the pitch. There was one with us and one at Man City.

"Then it suddenly went into reverse. That's when we knew. We went, "Oh my god". Sky told us. They were on constant link to the Etihad.

"When you look at it from the kick-off after the equaliser, all QPR had to do was keep the ball. What did they do? Smash it down. They played it forward and then Martin Tyler took over. The voice. Ugh."

Sunderland v Manchester United - Premier League

Then, as the Sunderland fans cheered at their expense, United trudged down the tunnel and into the away dressing room. Steele added:

"That was the longest five minutes in the dressing room, when we all got back in. Everyone sat down. I think the gaffer went out the room and eventually came back in. He needed a personal moment.

"Then he just said, 'This won't happen again.' If he was thinking about leaving I think it was changed very quickly. Then we won the league by 11 points. And people say we handed over an ageing team."

News Now - Sport News