Andy Ruiz Jr has reportedly agreed a new deal to fight Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia on December 7.
The location of the much-anticipated rematch sparked a lot of controversy, with Ruiz taking to Instagram to state that a deal for the fight had not been agreed with Joshua's camp.
Neither Ruiz or Joshua were present when Eddie Hearn officially announced the fight to the media two weeks ago, leading to more concerns over whether it was actually on or not.
But late last night, The Athletic reported that Ruiz has finally agreed terms on a new deal for the bout.
The Mexican heavyweight champion will earn 'millions more' than the $9m previously stated and an official announcement from his camp is expected in the coming days.
- Joshua: Ruiz won because of 'lucky punch'
- The top 10 heavyweight boxers of all-time
- Check out our new GIVEMESPORT homepage
It just goes to show once again that having the belts around your waist means you possess a lot of leverage in negotiations.
Prior to the latest update on the rematch, Ruiz stated that he was not keen on making the trip to Saudi Arabia due to a lack of protection.
“‘AJ got the rematch?’ Yes we’ve got the rematch,” Ruiz said, per Independent.
“‘Are we taking that rematch champ?’ Of course, but it’s going to be on my terms and our terms. We’re going to bring it back here in the United States.
“‘AJ, he’s scared?’ Hell yeah, why do you think he’s over there trying to make the fight in Saudi Arabia? Like I said, I don’t have no protection over there. The United States of America wants to ... never mind, I can’t say nothing, but the fight is going to happen soon.”
But it seems - like most high-profile fights - the main issue was about money, not protection.
Nevertheless, it promises to be the boxing event of the year on December 7, with Joshua's career potentially on the line in Diriyah.News Now - Sport News