Marcus Rashford was the latest target of racist abuse on social media after he missed a penalty for Manchester United in their 2-1 defeat to Crystal Palace on Saturday.
The 21-year-old was abused after he struck a post with his spot-kick.
The situation comes in the same week that United’s Paul Pogba was targeted for missing a penalty against Wolves.
Anti-discrimination body Kick It Out called the abuse ‘vile’ and said action must be taken.
Meanwhile, Man United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer expressed his disbelief that racism is still rife in 2019.
- Pogba racially abused after missing penalty
- Palace & Chelsea mock Man Utd on Twitter
- Check out our new GIVEMESPORT homepage
"It's unheard of and we need it to stop,” the Norwegian said, per BBC Sport. "I'm just lost for words if it keeps going.”
“We keep having all these campaigns 'No to Racism' and it keeps hiding behind fake identities. It's just crazy that we talk about this in 2019."
Pogba has now reacted to the abuse with a powerful message on Twitter.
The Frenchman wrote: “My ancestors and my parents suffered for my generation to be free today, to work, to take the bus, to play football.
“Racist insults are ignorance and can only make me stronger and motivate me to fight for the next generation.”
Well said Paul.
Earlier this week, Twitter said it will meet with stakeholders to show the “proactive work” it’s doing to tackle racist abuse on its platform.
Pogba’s teammates, including Rashford, came out in support of the 26-year-old, while England women’s manager Phil Neville called for players to “boycott” social media.
“I’ve lost total faith in whoever runs these social media departments, so let's send a powerful message: come off social media (for) six months,” Neville said.
“Let's see the effect it has on these social media companies.”News Now - Sport News