Richard Keys has quit as Sky's football anchorman after claiming that "dark forces" were at work in the sexism scandal that had already cost fellow presenter Andy Gray his job.
Keys apologised for making the disparaging remarks about female assistant referee Sian Massey but insisted he was prevented from making his apology public. He described the remarks as "lads mag banter".
"I am deeply sorry for my remarks and the offence they have caused; it was wrong and should not have happened. I have thought long and hard and reached the decision that it is time to move on," Keys said in a statement released by Sky Sports.
"Going forward without Andy would have been almost impossible. I am and will remain proud of our work with football at Sky Sports and grateful to the many people who have worked with me. I wish Sky Sports continued success in the future."
Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "It is disappointing that Richard's career at Sky should end in these circumstances. However, Richard recognises that his comments at the weekend were unacceptable and we note that he has made a full and public apology.
"We thank him for his time in helping make Sky Sports the success it is today."
Keys had earlier suggested some within Sky Sports have been working against him. Two damaging video clips apparently obtained internally have been posted on the internet this week.
Keys told talkSPORT: "There are some dark forces at work here.
"I rang Sian on Sunday an apologised. I realised how deeply wrong we were. Having done that I asked 'could we make people aware that of that fact we had a conversation and that both parties felt it was right to move on'. I was told 'no'.
"Then 24 hours had past by which time the world had gone mad. I don't know why I was told 'no' and stopped from telling people what I had done."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms