Barcelona have made their worst start to a La Liga campaign since 2008/09.
The Blaugrana have collected just four points from three matches after drawing 2-2 against Osasuna on Saturday.
Gerard Pique tried to allay fears after the match, emphasising that there’s still a lot of football still to play.
“We know that the season's long, although we'd have liked nine points from nine," Pique, who conceded a late penalty, said, per Sport.
“We've dropped five which we can't get back, but there's a long way to go and we have to start winning games to aspire to win La Liga.”
- 'Messi robbed Ronaldo of 2012 Ballon d'Or'
- Ansu Fati becomes Barça's youngest ever La Liga scorer
- Check out our new GIVEMESPORT homepage
Part of Pique’s outlook likely stems from the fact that he knows Barcelona still have Lionel Messi to return.
The Argentinian is yet to play this season as he continues his recovery from a calf strain.
Barcelona have looked lost without him, losing to Athletic Bilbao in their opening game of the season and drawing against Osasuna, and his return can’t come quickly enough.
RAC1 reported on Wednesday that Messi will miss another month of action after aggravating his injury.
Barcelona have denied that claim but it remains unclear when we will see the five-time Ballon d’Or winner in action.
Barcelona's awful record without Messi
And that’s a concern, for Barcelona’s record without their star man is woeful.
They’ve won just one of their last eight games without Messi.
Dating back to November 6, 2018, when Barcelona were held to a 1-1 draw against Inter Milan in the Champions League as Messi missed out with a broken arm, the Calatans have won just once when Messi didn’t play - the 5-2 win over Real Betis last month.
Barcelona win one of eight without Messi:
- November 6, 2018: Inter Milan 1-1 Barcelona
- January 10, 2019: Levante 2-1 Barcelona
- January 23, 2019: Sevilla 2-0 Barcelona
- April 13, 2019: Huesca 0-0 Barcelona
- May 4, 2019: Celta Vigo 2-0 Barcelona
- August 16, 2019: Athletic Bilbao 1-0 Barcelona
- August 25, 2019: Barcelona 5-2 Real Betis
- August 31, 2019: Osasuna 2-2 Barcelona
Messi FC, anyone?News Now - Sport News