Liverpool record-signing, Andy Carroll, allegedly claims he was forced out of Newcastle United.
The England striker reportedly traded text messages with editor of Toon Talk and confedant, Steve Wraith, stating he had been forced to hand in a transfer request after Newcastle revealed they wanted to cash-in.
Newcastle initially rejected two bids of over £30 million from Liverpool for the 22-year-old but, once Carroll stated his intention to leave, they accepted an offer of £35 million to pave the way for a move to Anfield.
However, if the leaked text messages are to be believed, that's not how the new Liverpool no.9 saw things pan out.
“They have kind we don’t want u [sic], but want me to say I wanna go [to Liverpool]. And I said I don’t wanna go,” Carroll is reported to have said in one of the messages.
When questioned on what was happening, Carroll responded: “I don’t know mate. Gutted tho. They said they wanted the money. Gutted to be leaving my home club but I was practically told to go. Don’t want to leave. That’s why I signed five-year deal.”
Carroll momentarily commanded the highest ever fee paid by a British club when Liverpool's offer was accepted, but this was quickly trumped by the £50 million splashed out by Chelsea to prise Fernando Torres away from Anfield.
Torres' departure left many on Merseyside heartbroken - with some Liverpool fans even seen burning shirts with his name emblazoned on the back - and the Spaniard may pile on even more misery should he make his Chelsea debut against his former club on Sunday.
Carroll faces a race against time to be fit for the weekend clash, but new Liverpool recruit Luis Suarez is expected to make his debut in what is quickly becoming one of the most eagerly anticipated matches of the season.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms