Messi, who was crowned The Best Player of the Year, voted for Ronaldo but the Portuguese forward didn’t return the favour.
Instead, Ronaldo chose Matthijs de Ligt, Frenkie de Jong and Kylian Mbappe, in that order.
Messi picked Sadio Mane first, Ronaldo second and De Jong third.
So what can we learn from this?
- Van Dijk to win Ballon d'Or?
- FIFA angered by Ronaldo's The Best snub
- Check out our new GIVEMESPORT homepage
Clearly Ronaldo didn’t want to help his main rival win the award.
Messi gave a selection to the Juventus forward. But he didn’t vote for Virgil Van Dijk.
Perhaps he didn’t fear Ronaldo winning the prize.
It marks the second straight year that Messi has chosen Ronaldo in his voting for The Best award.
But the Portugal star has never voted for Messi. At any awards ceremony.
Dating back to the 2010 Ballon d’Or, Ronaldo has ignored Messi at every opportunity.
Cristiano Ronaldo voting
- 2010: Xavi, Casillas, Sneijder
- 2011: Did not vote
- 2012: Did not vote
- 2013: Falcao, Bale, Ozil
- 2014: Ramos, Bale, Benzema
- 2015: Benzema James, Bale
- 2016: Bale, Modric, Ramos
- 2017: Modric, Ramos, Marcelo
- 2018: Varane, Modric, Griezmann
- 2019: De Ligt, De Jong, Mbappe
Lionel Messi voting
- 2010: Did not vote
- 2011: Xavi, Iniesta, Aguero
- 2012: Iniesta, Xavi, Aguero
- 2013: Iniesta, Xavi, Neymar
- 2014: Di Maria, Iniesta, Mascherano
- 2015: Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta
- 2016: Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta
- 2017: Suarez, Iniesta, Neymar
- 2018: Modric, Mbappe, Ronaldo
- 2019: Mane, Ronaldo, De Jong
So Ronaldo has NEVER voted for Messi.
That's despite the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player heaping praise on his main rival at UEFA's ceremony last month.
"We've shared the stage for 15 years, me and him. I don't know if that’s ever happened in football, the same two guys, the same stage, all the time. It’s not easy," Ronaldo said.
"We have a good relationship. We've not had dinner together - yet - but I hope to in the future.
"I miss playing in Spain, we had that battle the last 15 years which is good, he pushed me and I pushed him. It's good to be in the history of football. I'm there and he's there as well."
Yet Messi isn't good enough to earn a vote from Ronaldo, apparently.News Now - Sport News