England reach 2019 Rugby World Cup final with 19-7 win over New Zealand


England have stunned New Zealand 19-7 to reach the 2019 Rugby World Cup final.

Manu Tuilagi's early try set Eddie Jones' side on their way to a historic victory at Yokohama's International Stadium in Japan.

It's been 16 years since England last won the World Cup. Next weekend, they can end that wait.

England made a dream start to the semi-final, scoring a try after just 98 seconds,

Manu Tuilagi bundled the ball over the line after impressive offloads from both Kyle Sinckler and Courtney Lawes.

It was just the start that Jones wanted.

The All Blacks, who had barely touched the ball, were reeling.

England’s positive start continued, with Jonnny May bursting through after Tuilagi nicked Beauden Barrett’s blind pass.

New Zealand stopped May before he really got going but it was another good move for Eddie Jones’ side.

England v New Zealand - Rugby World Cup 2019: Semi-Final

It was clear from the outset that this was a contest between two elite sides. Any mistake - big or small - was going to be pounced upon.

Indeed, this was a match that really could have been the final. Both teams thrashed their quarter-final opponents and have played at an exceptional level in Japan.

England thought they had scored a second try in the 25th minute after Sam Underhill found his way through, but referee Nigel Owens was quick to review it.

And the try was not given after Tom Curry was adjudged to have impeded Sam Whitelock.


Underhill doesn't have much luck against New Zealand, does he?

England were playing well and they turned their dominance into three more points when George Ford scored a late penalty from 45 metres out.

A 10-0 lead at half-time, then. But there was no way England could ease up.

New Zealand were sloppy and wasteful in possession. England couldn't count on them being so poor for another 40 minutes.

That was probably Owen Farrell's message when he gathered his teammates for a team talk before entering the tunnel.

New Zealand coach Steve Hansen introduced Sam Cane at half-time in Scott Barrett's expense.


There was controversy shortly after the restart after England had a second try disallowed.

Ben Youngs appeared to extend England's lead to 15-0 but it was ruled out due to a knock-on in the maul before the lead.

It was a huge call. Replays showed that Jamie George's hands didn't seem to leave the ball, despite what TMO Marius Jonker had to say.

Another Ford penalty made it 13-0, though. England, despite their misfortune, were still in a good position.

That was until New Zealand cut their lead to 13-7.

England made a mess out of a line-out and Ardie Savea made the most of it, darting over the line to set up a tense finish. 

Ford added two more penalties, making it four for four on the day, to make it 19-7 with just over 10 minutes remaining.

And slowly, an entire country was starting to believe.

And England managed to hold on to complete a remarkable victory.

They will face either South Africa or Wales in the final next weekend. 

It's going to be a cracker.

News Now - Sport News