In a move that no one saw coming after last week's events, WWE has expanded their partnership with Saudi Arabia to two events per year through 2027.
WWE announced today that they have expanded their partnership with the Saudi General Entertainment Authority through 2027, to include a second annual large-scale event.
Back in March 2018, WWE originally announced that the Greatest Royal Rumble event was to be the first of a new 10-year "strategic multiplatform partnership" between WWE and the Saudi Arabian government.
Since then, WWE has held four events under the deal - Greatest Royal Rumble in April 2018, Crown Jewel 2018 in November 2018, Super ShowDown in June 2019, and Crown Jewel 2019 this past Thursday.
In a statement today, WWE announced they will now include a second annual large-scale event in the Kingdom through 2027.
- WWE stars react to being stranded in Saudi Arabia
- Styles reveals what stars stuck in Saudi Arabia were told
- NXT stars invade SmackDown and take over
Their statement reads: "Following the historic Crown Jewel event in Riyadh, WWE (NYSE: WWE) and the Saudi General Entertainment Authority (GEA) have expanded their live event partnership through 2027 to include a second annual large-scale event.
"WWE and GEA also continue to work towards the completion of a media agreement in the MENA region.
"This long-term partnership demonstrates WWE and GEA's commitment to bring sports entertainment to the region and supports Saudi Arabia's Vision 2030."
This comes after WWE superstars and personnel had significant travel delays following the conclusion of Crown Jewel last Thursday.
WWE superstars and personnel suffered flight delays after Crown Jewel due to what WWE has described as 'mechanical issues' on the plane they were due to travel on.
However, many have speculated that the real reason for the delays was due to disagreements between WWE and Saudi Arabia over payment which led to Crown Jewel being taken off the air early locally.
Many WWE superstars commented on the flight delay situation on social media, with some saying they will never return to Saudi Arabia again while others reportedly said they were done with WWE.
While WWE is yet to confirm, they will likely be returning to Saudi Arabia for another event in early 2020, and then again later in the year for a second event.News Now - Sport News