Legendary boxing promoter Bob Arum fully expects that his Bulgarian fighter Kubrat Pulev will put an end to Anthony Joshua’s boxing career in 2020.
Pulev is the IBF heavyweight mandatory challenger and is widely expected to be Joshua’s next opponent after the Brit reclaimed the WBA, IBF WBO and IBO belts in Saudi Arabia by beating Andy Ruiz Jnr last weekend.
Arum told talkSPORT: “Let me let you in on a secret, you may agree or disagree, but by the time (end of 2020) there ain’t going to be an Anthony Joshua as a top fighter.”
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed that Pulev, aka “The Cobra,” would be the most likely opponent for the British heavyweight champion.
Hearn said: “We want the governing bodies to tell us who goes first, is it Pulev or Usyk? For me, it is probably Pulev, because the mandatory was called first.
- Wladimir Klitschko’s tweets about AJ, Fury & Wilder
- Tyson Fury praises AJ’s performance vs Andy Ruiz Jr
- The Independent’s top 15 heavyweights in the world
“Off the top of my head, it will be end of April or early May for Joshua’s next fight.”
The 38-year-old Bulgarian boxer would represent another tough opponent for Joshua as he has only ever lost one professional fight, which was against former unified heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko.
Arum also represents Tyson Fury, who faces a rematch with WBC champion Deontay Wilder on February 22 following their contentious draw last year.
The veteran promoter sees no reason why an all-British showdown between Fury and Joshua can’t take place sooner rather than later.
“Tyson Fury is better than any other heavyweight in the world. The Joshua fight would be a big fight, after Wilder, although I haven’t spoken to Tyson about it.
“For me, I would say bring it on!”